Arowanas stop eating

7napoleon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2013
United States
Help Need!!!
I have these three silver arowanas for five months now, each of them is about 14 in long. I used to feed them Hikari food sticks and Tetra dry jumbo krills, and they used to like it a lot and can eat a lot of food every morning. But recently, they start to eat less and less food, and this morning eventually stop eating.
I have check Nitrite/Nitrate, it's about 0-0.25 mp, and the water keep that way from day the tank was setup, temp is inside safezone.
I have 3 guess about why they stop eating, 1st-------I need de-worm, maybe aros have parasites or worms inside, I cannot be sure. I have never feed they wet food, not mention live food or feeder. 2nd---------They need some more serious food, like market shrimp or prawn. I am not sure either. 3rd---------They have a tankmate before, A redtail catfish. One day, the catfish get gill curl, add filter and water change does not help. So I performed gill surgery on the catfish and put it in the quarantine tank for recovery, but maybe the quarantine tank is too small, catfish smash the lid open and died outside of tank. I find out aros start to eat less after absence of RTC. But I am not sure too.

Please help me!!!! Any suggestion is greatly appreciated!!!
Thank you!!

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Arowanas can go on strike. If you have been over feeding they might see the food as oh I can get it whenever I want so they stopped eating if it hasent been more then a week they should be fine don't feed them today at all or tomorrow And then try to introduce food the arowanas might also be stressed I am no arowana expert so someone else's advice may help you but HTH!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Although silver arowana commonly go on hunger strikes, generally they aren't as small as yours when they do. Also very odd that all three would do it at the same time. Nitrate and nitrite are two different things so you should post two separate readings. What about ammonia and pH levels. You think the Redtail cat got gill curl from bad water conditions?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store