Feeding live fish is illegal...

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
At least in the UK. According to what I've just read feeding live fish violates the animal wellfare act, which (explicitly) states that fish need to be kept away from other fish that would harm them. Apparently even deliberately buying fish to breed for food is a no no too. However you wont fall foul of incidental fry in a community setting being gobbled up. Kind of opens a can of worms, no?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Loads of people give live feeders in UK even fish shops , suppose no one ever thinks about it being illegal

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
I've done it myself. Not on a regular basis but now and again. I always thought it was a bit of a grey area but looking at that, guess not.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I guess too many people were doing it for amusement purposes rather than necessity...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
I heard somewhere that you can feed live to predatory fish as long as you can prove that's the only thing they will eat so it's the only thing keeping the pred fish alive. Haven't seen anything concrete tho and like most other laws in the uk I very much doubt it's inforced...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

gutted

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2012
How would they enforce it? Good idea though, so many people feed oscars feeder fish thinking thats what they're supposed to eat.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
If they really wanted to enforce it, they would ban the sale of feeders to / at pet stores - that would pretty much do it.

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
If they really wanted to enforce it, they would ban the sale of feeders to / at pet stores - that would pretty much do it.
That wouldn't stop it, people could just buy a small fish like a group of tetras. A feeder is technically anything that a larger fish could eat.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store