40B planted tank 30$ hinged canopy build!

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
This is my cheap somewhat simple build, many drawings were sketched & measurements taken before the work began! Making it hinged was easy, just needs precise measurements and cuts, but all in all access to the tank is a breeze! A small rubber nub is screwed in on top of the canopy to rest the door on it and absorb the shock so wood doesn't hit wood and cuz slamming and racket!

Materials bought: 2x stainless steel hinges-3.50$, 50 pack 8x2" brass pocket screws-5$, miscellaneous wiring hardware-5$, 7"Lx3xW fiberglass mesh-9$, various zip ties 4$ = about 30$ after tax.

Materials used laying around the house: 1 stainless decorative drawer handle, free oak brewery cabinet that I found while working, high power 12volt aftermarket cpu fan with blue leds and switch, stainless steel mesh wire for mounting lights, random marineland 18-24" led light used for moonlighting only, 24 or so staples to secure wiring along canopy. All this was useless junk I wasn't using around the house thus less clutter!

The most expensive part of a DIY canopy is usually the wood but my find was luck as the width of the cabinet was almost spot on with the tank but obviously much taller, so some modifications were needed to make it suitable. Lighting consists of 2x 65watt florescent floodlights (8600lumens @ 6500k)

Tools used: drill/square drive bit, wood saw, jigsaw, staple gun, hammer, electrical pliers, sander, angle grinder, 90° T and of COURSE a tape measure!

Hope you like my hillbilly DIY! Wish I could have centered the wording but to make it happen I couldn't cuz the dimensions weren't right for the tank.

Hood up, quick easy access to tank with little effort 2x hinged, back is lined with the black fiberglass mesh to prevent jumping and ambient light entering the tank:

Moonlighting:

Ac110:

Creative mounting:

Cooling fan with hood up:

Cooling fan runs on same timer as main lights:

Night shoot, I don't like overkill on moonlighting especially on a planted tank, therefore I mounted mine in a certain way to where you can see just a tad of blue making it look natural! Picture didn't do it justice but in person imo its perfect, you can see the silhouettes and shadows!

Fan is very high rpm and does a great job on keeping lighting cool, doesn't look bad imo either!

Hope you appreciated the build for a creative yet basic 30$ canopy! Tank used to be setup like this with lights .5" from the water line:

Enjoy!

Cheers! :beer::beer::beer:

×Go S Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title and 8 wins in a row going on 9, see you in Brazil boys!×

Cheap way to decrease nitrates and keep your fish healthy: http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504763

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
That's a cool build. I might build me one like it for my new t5 once I finish my stand. At least it gives and excuse to wrap my stand now ;).

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
That's a cool build. I might build me one like it for my new t5 once I finish my stand. At least it gives and excuse to wrap my stand now ;).

That works and you can pull micro fans out of a lot of things laying around. Like old Xbox or playstations, CPU's, intercoolers for gaming system's, old labtops etc. Just match voltage and or wattage.

×Go S Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title and 8 wins in a row going on 9, see you in Brazil boys!×

Cheap way to decrease nitrates and keep your fish healthy: http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504763

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
That works and you can pull micro fans out of a lot of things laying around. Like old Xbox or playstations, CPU's, intercoolers for gaming system's, old labtops etc. Just match voltage and or wattage.

I might need to do that anyways my t5 gets hot at the ends of the bulbs it heated up the reflector enough to crack my lid. Now I have it propped on two pieces of 1x2" at each end. I'm not sure if it's because the light is not in its original light strip. The guy I got it from modded it to fit in a old t8 light strip cover. I might just take it out and screw it straight to the canopy.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
I might need to do that anyways my t5 gets hot at the ends of the bulbs it heated up the reflector enough to crack my lid. Now I have it propped on two pieces of 1x2" at each end. I'm not sure if it's because the light is not in its original light strip. The guy I got it from modded it to fit in a old t8 light strip cover. I might just take it out and screw it straight to the canopy.

That may work. I'd even drill a few 1/8th or 1/4th vent holes thru the light casing and canopy hood! Running cooler ambient temps will not only increase longevity of the lights but also the ballasts!

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
That may work. I'd even drill a few 1/8th or 1/4th vent holes thru the light casing and canopy hood! Running cooler ambient temps will not only increase longevity of the lights but also the ballasts!

That's a good idea. I might try that if I can't find a fan to use.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Nice job! Save some coin AND be able to say "I made that"

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Thanks! Its always fun and an excuse to get out in the garage working.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store