Another setuting up first saltie thread

Skittle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2012
PA
Im another guy whos kept freshwater fish for a long time but now interested in setting up a saltwater tank. After some reaserch i have decided that i want to do something in between a fowlr and reef tank, with alot of live rock and a couple of cheaper corals. I have some questions about the equipment i will need. This will be a 4ft long 45 gallon tank. My first question is has anyone ever bought live rock from here before? And will 25 lb of the premium branch live rock (the medium size) and 15lb of the fiji live rock (medium size) be enough, or will i need to get the 25 lb size of fiji rock?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
40 pounds of live rock will be enough. Look on local reef sites for rock. You will get it much cheaper about 2 dollars a pound. I do like the combo box option from that website.

I will get the four or six bulb t5. For the extra $20 I will get the six bulb, but you should be fine with four.

For filtration the live rock and a couple of powerheads will be good for the biological. I would add a hang on back filter for mechanical filtration. People will say food will get stuck in it and increase the nitrates. If you are concerened about that use the aquaclear sponges in the filter. Every so often rinse the sponge it will take 2 minutes. For protein skimmer I can't help you out much except if you have no sump you are most likely going to end up with a hang on back one. People seem to like reef octopus, esshopps and CPR. I never used any of them.

Skittle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2012
PA
Thanks. Im really likeing the 4 bulb Current t5 for lighting right now. Do you know of any specific places to get live rock cheaper? I havent been able to find something, but im in love with the ranch live rock.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
I am not sure were in Pennsylvania you live. Search for Pennsylvania reef forum , Philadelphia reef forum, Pittsburgh reef forum or a local reef forum/club which can help. You can probaly get free coral as well. If that doesn't work put a want to buy add on Craigslist.

You can also buy a couple of pounds of live rock and the rest dry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store