Question for others who feed NLS

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
First off don't turn this into a freaking debate over brands, this a simple question. I feed my fish mainly NLS and hikari as a staple and I've noticed that that when I feed more NLS than hikari my fish remain plumper longer. Currently my feather fin syno looks way bloated and this has happened before and usually dissipates after about three days of fasting.Has anyone else experienced this? If so any recommendations on how to prevent it? I am afraid one day he might just rupture

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
I was told that because nls is so nutrient rich you should feed lesser amounts, so your issue is likely to be over feeding.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I was told that because nls is so nutrient rich you should feed lesser amounts, so your issue is likely to be over feeding.
Bingo!

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
I thought as much cause I'd have to feed double the amount my usual hikari pellet to make the catfish this fat. Will ease up on the amount I feed

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I would stop feeding NLS. It tends to start arguments. Nobody ever had a problem with Hikari that I am aware of, other than the inability to get their fish to eat anything else.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
That statement doesn't make sense. Rich in nutrients won't cause a fish to bloat anymore than a turkey sandwich with extra vitamins would cause me to bloat. Bloating is going to be caused by swelling of the food, too high a volume of food or decay with out digestion. If you are feeding an equal weight of the 2 products and one cause bloat there is a problem. If you are feeding an equal volume and NLS is a more dense product, then yes, the NLS could cause bloating upon hydration.

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
Don't start this on my thread please wether it be from being a dense pellet or being nutrient high I got a answer and will feed less at a time

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
The only problem i've encountered with over-feeding my fahaka with NLS is she will poop NLS dust clouds...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Nls is just very dense as stated. Feed smaller amounts more often or less during feeding.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The following article on "Nutrient Dense Fish Feeds" was written by R.D. Miles, Professor, Department of Animal Sciences, and F.A. Chapman, Associate Professor, Department of Fisheries and Aquatics, University of Florida.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa145

Any fish that is overfed can become somewhat bloated looking, including those fish that are fed a more calorie rich nutrient dense feed. The same thing is experienced when a dog is fed too much of a high density calorie rich feed. In fish, over time this can also lead to long term health issues such as excess fat deposition in and around the liver.

Hence the reason why one can (and should) feed less of a nutrient dense food. That, and one can save $$$ by doing so.

HTH

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store