How long do you keep wood in the tank for?

castro1212

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2012
metairie louisiana
I'm just curious to see how long everyone keeps a certain peice of wood in the tank for.

I have been having this one piece for a few years now and it seems like it's starting to rot now. I really liked this piece too

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
I've had my stump and branches for a few months now.

josegalf

Gambusia
Nov 21, 2013
Guatemala
I've been keeping some roots and branches for about 10 years, without any problem; though some branches tend to drop some wood when I touch them. I think it depends the kind of wood they are made from.

castro1212

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2012
metairie louisiana
yeah i think so to. i have a piece that smells like the lake (its been in aquariums since before i bought it) and its kind of soft also when i touch it the wood rubs off on to my hands and makes my hand the color of it

Castlk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2013
Long Island, New York
I have some pieces in my tanks for 10 or more years.

Shenanigans

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Wyoming
Depends on type and size of the wood. Soft woods decay faster and I usually only keep a piece for less than a year.
Hard woods will decay slowly and a nice display piece lasts decades. My largest piece is over 20 years old. I had a smaller, branchy piece that eventually deteriorated and fell apart after 15 years.

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Like most things it depends.

-type of wood (manzanita and Malaysian driftwood being most common)
-it's life before your aquarium
-aquarium conditions (water temp, hardness, etc)
-If you have plecos or other fish keeping it clean vs algae covering it

That being said I've heard anything from rotten in months to fine after a decade.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Malaysian is good for at least 10 years. My oldest piece is at least that old. I got it used from a friend so don't know the real age. I have a piece of pet store stuff on slate that is maybe 7 years old that is still OK, but it isn't very large.

Heyguy74

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Jackson, NJ
A lot of plecos will also graze on the wood. That will casue it to breakdown. As long as it was cured properly it should last a long time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store