Whats your preference on footprints?

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
I prefer both length and width together. Height not so much unless I want a layer setup with top , middle and bottom dwellers

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Tank footprint would depend upon what you are keeping in it. Width is always good. Problem with tanks getting longer and wider is weight.

asm129

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Cafe Lu
For pure looks, a long tank looks the most impressive. To most people a long tank looks the biggest and makes you go wow. Tall tanks limit what kind of fish you can put in, but not long tanks.

If you're raising monster fish though like aros, you need a wide tank. Something at least 3 ft deep i mean. That's so they have enoigh room to turn and grow to full potential.

Height is the least important to me. Anything 2ft - 3ft is fine.

I think the ideal tank for me that could fit in my house would be 8' long, 4' wide and 30" tall. If i had more room i would get a longer tank but not any taller than 30" or 36". The taller you go, the harder it is to clean the tank.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
200 gallons of water weighs over 1,600 pounds no matter how high the tank is. LOL!
He means that if the tank is taller the glass has to be thicker so the tank will way substantially more. Ya your right too but your talking about different things

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Height is the REAL determiner of weight as it determines how thick the glass has to be.
And how strong your floor has to be. For me wide tanks trump tall ones any day of the week.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Deep tanks are rarely seen. I have a hard time wanting anything less than 48 deep now. Salt water people like the taller tanks allot but having a larger foot print is super nice. Unfortunately they take up allot of room

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store