Differences in the End-Size of Panaque Plecos

Marcus_H

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2009
Germany
Hello,

i'd like to know a little more about the realistic final mesurements of the more or less common Panaque species you can find.

I iften read, that L27 gets bigger then L190/191 - is that true?

Also it seems to be that L203 is by far the biggest and one of the biggest and heaviest plecos you can find.

And is the blue-eyed panaque really the smallest?

Greetings

Marcus_H

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2009
Germany
Well all i found this far are threats with pictures from certain big panaque, but nothing about any comparision in between the mentioned species.

Only the L203/LDA 65, the mostly grey-brown-black giant form seems to be significantly bigger than the rest, but even this seems to be uncertain.

Jackson

Piranha
MFK Member
May 12, 2008
Toronto
203 so far has proven to be the largest of the big panaque

Oddball had one that was around 30"-36" I can't remember exactly

418 and 191 can reach at least 24"

190 I've seen 18" they could possibly get bigger

27 tapajos biggest I've heard of is 20" I have one at 18"

27 Tocantins 22" so far is the biggest I've heard of and seen

27 xingu around 20" from what I've seen pics of

27 araguaia 15"

I'm not sure about blue eyes I've seen people claim 20"+ for both but have never seen it I'd say probably around 16" is what I've seen

What are you looking to get?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Marcus_H

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2009
Germany
Thank you very much for that Information!

Wow ober 30" sounds incredible! Are there pics from that monster???

I've read that panaque do not groow over 15" when kept in aquarium for their whole life, is that true? Are all those monsters caught as adults? I really like to get an LDA 65 as a juvenile with 2-3" and see him grow to become a monster, since i am under 30 years old, i hoped to be able to see that.

Jackson

Piranha
MFK Member
May 12, 2008
Toronto
No they'll grow if fed well and kept in big aquariums. Lots if water changes too help that as well.

There are some pics on here you'd have to search around. I don't know exactly where it is try some of the sticky threads in the pleco media section

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
I have three L190 Royals in a 150g with a couple of cichlids and a bunch of driftwood.

I've had them for roughly two years and the prior owner (the guy who collected them in Peru) had them for I think another 2-3 years (he kept them in a 180g I think with some tetras).

Long story short: They're rough 7-8"...

Are these giant Panaques in the hobby grown in captivity (or collected that way)?

Matt

Marcus_H

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2009
Germany
Just amazing!!!!! Incredible fish! How heaavy was this fish? I guess it might be around the same weight as even longer a. hystix?

But as dogofwar repeated: Is it possible to grwo them this big in a tank? Or are all those above 20 inch Panaque from the wild?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store