IT Dat Growout thread (pics)

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Figured I'd start a thread up for my IT, picked this guy up at impulse simply because it was a good deal and NO LFS ever has them in this area haha. Picked the biggest one with the most symmetrical bars, he's been great, already on pellets w/o difficulty (leads me to believe the LFS was feeding them pellet), mostly stable and is thickening up nicely.

Right after I put him in the QT/Growout

uploadfromtaptalk1385444959353.jpg

I just put him in the main tank w/ the big guys! He's bossing the bigger guys around haha
1st is light side of the tank
uploadfromtaptalk1385445101751.jpg
2nd is Dark Side
uploadfromtaptalk1385445153080.jpg

I have the tank split, on one side is black sand and the other is regular gold sand and they gradient into each other in the middle. Makes for interesting views of the fish if they've been chilling on one side for a while.

Tank Mates: Red Wolf fish (7.5 inch), Ornate Bichir (8.5 inch), Gold Dust Bichir (6.5 inch), Palmas Polli bichir (6 inch), Leopard Ctenopoma (4 inch), Geo Balzani (4 inch), Rope fish (12 inch)

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Thanks man, started him on hikari carni sinkers then my LFS was out of them so I had to get some hikari Sinking Cichlid Gold and he takes that just as eagerly.

I feel like I got lucky, the owner of the LFS I got him from (great old lady) literally kissed her hand and put it to the bag w/ the dat saying they are her favorite fish. Pretty sure she was also pellet training them

joel

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2005
THE GARDEN STATE
Thanks man, started him on hikari carni sinkers then my LFS was out of them so I had to get some hikari Sinking Cichlid Gold and he takes that just as eagerly.

I feel like I got lucky, the owner of the LFS I got him from (great old lady) literally kissed her hand and put it to the bag w/ the dat saying they are her favorite fish. Pretty sure she was also pellet training them

Good deal. I have 2 one will eat meaty foods and meal worms the other will only eat hikari floating cichlid pellets and live feeders. I can't get them on the same diet.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

LuluB916

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2013
United States
Lucky you with dats eating pellets. I bought two from my LFS and were eating pellets there since they were in a 20 gallons. They have been in my 120 gallons and refuse to take pellets. Currently feeding frozen bloodworms and feeder guppies.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Oh yeah wasn't hard at all, have you tried teacher fish? I've never had trouble w/ teachers. It seems to work better if they are similar though, I use a palmas polli and albino sen to get my ornate and gold dust on pellet (bichirs) and used a leopard ctenopoma to get my dat on em. They're quite similar (w/ the exception of overall size lol)

Dat is growing like a weed! Seems he's gotten at least a half inch in a couple weeks on nothing but pellet (hikari carni sinkers, cichlid gold) and freeze dried brine

A question for everyone though, does anyone else's dat just kind of hide under the power head sometimes? He's not skittish in the 70, comes out to eat like normal and fights over food, but sometimes he just sits there letting the intake pull him off balance. First time I saw it I thought he was dead but nope, he was eating like 5 minutes later like nothing was wrong

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Little update, doing great and not beating on the Orino pbass as much

uploadfromtaptalk1388308865544.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1388308888280.jpg
(Sorry for the crappy pic, just wanted to show both sides, will try to get a better one)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store