hot dogs for dinner

those1

Candiru
MFK Member
May 4, 2008
Sandusky, OH
So after talking to some people I have gotten some interesting responses when i tell them I feed my fish hot dogs.

I also rotate in tilapia and sometimes shrimp and the occupational pellets ( not much cause the cloud my water).

my stock list is:
3 motoro stingray
a marble cat fish
a red tail cat fish
a red tail/tsn hybrid
2 clown knifes
3 Florida gar
a syn cat
2 common pleco

all but my newest male motoro have been on this diet for over a year and seem to be just fine. the newest male is still on worms till he starts on the other foods im feeding.

I'm wondering how many others are using hot dogs and if anyone has found faults in using them?

I know bigrich and his son are using them but what others are?

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Hot dogs are made in vast metal vats, tons of pork trimmings are mixed with the pink slurry formed when chicken carcasses are squeezed through metal grates and blasted with water. The mush is mixed with powdered preservatives, flavourings, red colouring and drenched in water before being squeezed into plastic tubes to be cooked and packaged. Not exactly the poster child for nutritional foods for people or like anything I'd want to feed my fish long term as a stable part of their diet.

Now I have no personal experience especially long term about it's effects on fish but feeding something for a year doesn't qualify either as I imagine the effects would be cumulative over years rather then just one. Obesity, poor resistance to disease and lack of nutrition can take years to show outwardly as fish are wild and appearing sick(even when they are) just isn't a good look for them as it invites predation. It's why when a fish goes south health wise it seems to be so quick, they've actually been sick for awhile and it's finally gotten to the point where they can no longer hide it. Now I'll admit this is just my opinion but I believe that the logic behind my opinion is pretty solid.

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
Hot dogs are made in vast metal vats, tons of pork trimmings are mixed with the pink slurry formed when chicken carcasses are squeezed through metal grates and blasted with water. The mush is mixed with powdered preservatives, flavourings, red colouring and drenched in water before being squeezed into plastic tubes to be cooked and packaged. Not exactly the poster child for nutritional foods for people or like anything I'd want to feed my fish long term as a stable part of their diet.
So where is the pork and chicken in my kosher beef hot dogs? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
In order for a hot dog to be considered Kosher it has to meet certain requirements

The method of killing and bleeding the animal
The absence of blood in the mix
The absence of meat from animals that are not allowed according to the rules of kashrut (pork, rabbit, etc)
The absence of milk or milk products in a meat hotdog
The absence of grain in the mix during Passover
The cut of the meat (in most places, the hind quarter of an animal isn't used because the difficulty of removing the necessary veins, arteries, etc to make it kosher is cost prohibitive.)

As such they can still use the left over bits of an animal just not pigs or chickens(well not chickens only in the all beef hot dog that is) as well as all the same powdered preservatives, flavouring and food coloring a well as the same process to make them. So the parts are still forced through metal grates to create the slurry among other things and nutritionally they're similar to regular hot dogs due to this. Unfortunately Kosher doesn't necessarily mean better, being better has just been associated with it due to the religious ties implied/followed which like anything can be worked around. Matter of fact there was a lawsuit not long ago about the use of hot dogs using Kosher on their products due to some of their attempted work around including using animals that weren't ceremonially slaughtered and animals that had been fed non-kosher feeds(pig bits and shellfish remnants) which makes the animal not Kosher.

Sorry probably a more serious reply then you expected.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
In general, land based animal protein is not good for fish. Your fish may look an be fine for now, but what effect will a long term diet of hot dogs have on them in the future?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
The average 5 grams (20%) of protein isn't a bad thing when consuming a hot dog. However, the average 13 grams of fat and 570mg of sodium would be best left out of an aquarium and filtration system. And, there are better cuts of meat that can provide better protein levels than hot dogs. Try trimmed beef heart instead. It has 3 times the protein, less than one-tenth the sodium, and less than half the fat.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Hot dogs over the fire are awesome but of course I'm talking about for people. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Hot dogs over the fire are awesome but of course I'm talking about for people. ;)
Hot dogs sure have become a pretty popular topic of discussion around the forums of late.They have just about overtaken Massivore.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Am I the only one who saw this thread on the new posts page and just figured it was another hotdog catfish thread. Boy was I wrong. I will never feed hotdogs to stingrays. But looking at your stock its mostly cats.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store