new pond

fishonfishonfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2013
florida
I recently set up the 480G 8x3x2.5 koi pond inside my pool area, but i dont want to put anything like koi or goldfish in it, I want something unique. I live in south central Florida and can get a little bit of heat in it so sub-tropical or more cold tolerant tropical fish are a possibilities. I just need some ideas.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
go down to your local streams and lakes and net yourself some invasives. help out the natives and save some cash.

fishonfishonfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2013
florida
sadly i cant afford a jardini they cost around 200, and they are illegal but idc (you didn't hear that) I mean who in their right mind is going to release a 200$ fish. I did cycle the pond already with goldfish and I'm going to take them out whenever i find out what i want to put in, and sadly the only thing i can ever catch around here are bass and tilapia. I was thinking of maybe piranha, or black pacu, red pacu get to big i think, but i know those will survive the winter because in Virginia we had a lake get infested with piranha and if they can survive there they sure as hell would survive here.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Get some hardy cichlids like peacock bass,midevils,oscars and pretty much any other cichlids and cats found in your local waters.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fish042099

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
Northern N.J.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Get some hardy cichlids like peacock bass,midevils,oscars and pretty much any other cichlids and cats found in your local waters. By the way piranha and pacu are illegal in Florida.

fishonfishonfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2013
florida
ik piranha are illegal but i have kept them before and nobody really finds out (i have goats to which are illegal but what they dont know doesnt hurt them) I never release any fish into the wild and pond is inside a screened enclosure so birds cant get in. anyway i have a peacock bass and oscar and tons of other cichlids in my other pond so i don't want another one of those, but now I'm thinking a dovii or umbee. im also open for any odball fish you guys know of that could work, I just wanted really rare or unique not something that's been done a thousand times.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
ik piranha are illegal but i have kept them before and nobody really finds out (i have goats to which are illegal but what they dont know doesnt hurt them) I never release any fish into the wild and pond is inside a screened enclosure so birds cant get in. anyway i have a peacock bass and oscar and tons of other cichlids in my other pond so i don't want another one of those, but now I'm thinking a dovii or umbee. im also open for any odball fish you guys know of that could work, I just wanted really rare or unique not something that's been done a thousand times.
What do you think is going to happen if you get hit by a hurricane and your yard floods? That enclosure will only take so much before it begins to get damaged or brake. When I lived in Florida I had a big pond with those same cichlids just no bass. When we got hit by a hurricane the whole enclosure collapsed and I found two of my oscars in a run off ditch on the side of the road.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store