Fish Hut of New Jersey (NNJ) Saddle Brook, NJ

Cookie*

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2010
Northern NJ
mocoloco.com
I do not work with the store and have no affiliation whatsoever. I'm just giving my impression/opinion of the store and their service after my recent visits.

I just heard of this place a few weeks ago while selling some tanks to someone off craigslist. I went there this past Sunday to scope the place out and see what it's like, not expecting much from it looking small on the outside. From walking in the door until I left, I was impressed. The staff readily greeted me and asked if I needed help. I walked down one really long isle of SA cichlids with African cichlids on the other side. I rounded the bend and came all the way back to the front seeing all their dither fish, goldfish and specialty shrimp and snails. I didn't see a single dead or sick fish out of hundreds in stock. The tanks were spotless and crystal clear with nice variety of everything. I was impressed and told the guy at the counter and just picked up a molly for a community tank (not planning on buying anything). Upon leaving, I realized there was another whole section of store with tanks and fish I hadn't even seen. Well, I went back today and found they've got twice as many SA and African cichlids as I thought. The second room houses the larger fish. There were also lots of plants, and a small but good size saltwater section. Their prices were very fair as well. Today when I was in there, I also caught an employee trying to talk some young guys out of buying some fish because of their plans for them, being the fish wouldn't work together. The guys/buyers were idiots and wouldn't listen to his advice and bought the fish anyhow, but I was glad to see the staff steering people clear of fish they're not prepared for. It's good to see another quality fish store open in the area. I was told they opened a year and a half ago. Anyhow, check the place out if it's not too far from you. I was happy I did.

Fish Hut of New Jersey
114 U.S. Highway 46 east
Saddle Brook, NJ 07663
973 253 7300

I looked for a proper place to put this in the forum and couldn't find one better then general discussion. Admins please move if you've got a better place. Thank you.;)

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
They're actually registered as a vendor here but I don't recall ever seeing a stock list. Did they have much else besides cichlids? Or mostly cichlids?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
There was a thread from a few years ago that listed and ran down most of the stores in the Jersey/Pa.area but I don't remember if this one was covered.

Cookie*

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2010
Northern NJ
mocoloco.com
Nah, it wasn't all cichlids, they had the usual oddballs/rare fish too. I don't pay too much attention to anything but cichlids, but I did see- 2 Jade Gobies, 1@5" and 1@8" approximate. Some exotic larger tetra, not sure if vampire or what. Exodons, about 5 left. Piranha, not sure which kind. A few pairs of different Apistos, freshwater crabs/shrimp/snails, large Peruvian snails (about golf ball size or a little larger). I heard the clerk mention having killifish but didn't see them. Good selection of foods and accessories, too. I know there were more fish than mentioned, I just cannot remember everything. They had some larger Oscars too. There were a good amount of cichlids I don't see often too. More pearly type, I think Carperintus (butchered name probably), and Vieja something. Red Head Tapajos, other Geos. The clerk also mentioned being able to get anything I wanted special order.

I didn't realize they were even a vendor on here. Next time I go there I'll ask what's up with that and see if they're gonna put more time into uploading stocklists to the site. I think it would benefit them.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Nice write up. I've never been there but I should check it out.

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
Definitely worth checking them out for SA/CA cichlids, I would say almost half the tanks in the store are africans, but have a good mix of eveything.I bought 2 of my chocolates there

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Heyguy74

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Jackson, NJ
I've been there and it was great. You can't go wrong with a store. That actually tells people, not to buy fish that won't work together. Most stores just want to sell.

Cookie*

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2010
Northern NJ
mocoloco.com
Glad to see I wasn't the only one impressed. And I would say it's 1/2 Africans and 1/2 SA's, too. And then you have a row of dither and goldfish, and 2 smaller (20' long) rows of saltwater. I wouldn't drive 2 hours to it if there were something worthy in my area, but it's only about 20 mins from me and is on par with the best fish stores around here, but more fairly priced.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store