Will they eat , or be eaten . . . can they really live toguether ?

Raptor_20

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
Portugal
Hi all , I have an 280 litre aquarium and I wanted to place there an ornate bichir , a couple of channa bleheri, black ghost fish , 2 valentine synodontis, a pictus cat and a siamese algae eater to clean it up , is it possible?

The alternative is to use a 70 litre tank only with the 2 channas , one ancistrus and a tiger barb pack, letting the bichir on the larger tank with the synodontis

Hoppe some answers

Best regards

Raptor20

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
Hello

Let´s see if I can help, starting from the begining: channa beleheri are sub-tropical fish that you cannot mix with tropical ones. The care requirements are different and if you keep the bleheri constantly at tropical temperatures they will get ill and die. Bleheri need to have a temperature drop in the winter (to around 18º C) and an increase in the Summer (to 25ºC).
So, for the bleheri, you need a species tank (channa b. only). The 70 lts (18,5gallons) is probably too small for 2 bleheris, unless it is more wide than tall (say.. 60x40cms footprint). Even in this case, I would not risk keeping two unless they are a confirmed couple. Keeping one would be ok.

As for the other fish, it may work putting them all in the 280lts, except for the ornate bichir but I see too many bottom dwellers (fish that stay at the bottom of the tank) which could be an issue (territorial fighting).
The ornate bichir is to big for a 280lts (74g) tank as it will get to ~50cms or more and probably eat most of the other fish you mention. Maybe you can get away with a senegalus, but not an ornate

Hope this helps

Abraço

Raptor_20

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
Portugal
my sinodontis stay with about 20 cm and i have also a senegal bichir, i what to think about the elephant nose and the african butterfly fish

Raptor_20

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
Portugal
Eu continuarei a falar em inglÊs mas fico contente por ver que há aqui um português, eu sou novo em monster fish e gostava muito de saber quanto mais melhor, eu estou a tentar recriar o bioma do rio africano

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
The butterfly fish dont get too big and dont do well with nippy fish, theyll get eaten for sure. Other species of bichir you could fit would be the palmas complex (palmas palmas, palmas polli, palmas buettikoferi), and mokelembembe. Algae eaters might suck the slime coat off bichirs and leave some heavy damage. Ive seen tanks with syno cats and bichirs, they work well as far as i know. Ctenopoma also do quite well with bichir.

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
What are the dimensions of the 280L tank? If it is low and wide it may work for bichirs, but if it is tall and narrow maybe not.

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
Raptor,

I dont´t think you can keep an ornate bichir in that tank long term. It´s too narrow and the ornate will not be able to turn around without touching both sides of the tank

p.s.: 120x40x50cms = 48x16x20"

Raptor_20

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
Portugal
sad, i´ll have to think about geting a biger one later, well she is only 7cm for now so it can hold herself later I´m gonna buy an 200x80x50 and it should be enought

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store