Best way to test water parameters

mell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Hi guys, I've got fairly high lighting on my tank and have not yet dosed any macros. I think I'm lacking in one or more of these, causing me some issues with algae, particularly cyano. Just wondering what the best methods are of testing various water parameters, in particular nitrogen phosphorus and potassium. I have test strips that give me the pH, nitrite/nitrate, gh and kh so i'm assuming i can get the nitrogen levels from the nitrate readings (I've just learnt I can also get the CO2 level from pH/kh). What about phosphorus and potassium? What are the methods available for testing these? Do you guys think it would be worth it to invest in an electronic reader? And lastly are there any other parameters I should be testing? I do dose flourish for micronutrients and also have a thin bottom layer of laterite. Thanks, any help appreciated

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Algae normally means your plants arent using up the extra nutrients in the tank...

Or there isnt enough Co2 being pumped into the tank...

As for measuring Co2 levels in a tank, you could get whats known as a drop checker which you add a solution to and place on or in the tank depending on style... The solution then slowly changes color in accordance with how much Co2 is in the tank...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I have no issues with any other form of algae, just cyano, which isn't really even an algae. Not too concerned with CO2, I can measure that using the test strips I already have, more concerned about how to monitor the macronutrients so I know if I need to dose them and if so, how much. Thanks for your help though!

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
To be fair, im not sure how many people really measure every parameter though...

Since the more experienced keepers that i know IRL, and from online tend to look for deficiencies in plants to work out what might be missing...

Also, it seems lately using the EI (estimated index) dosing method has been quite popular to make sure you've covered all your bases... So maybe if you've not looked into that, it could be worth looking at, since it might help you work out whats missing?

As for Cynobacteria, if im not mistaken it can be brought on by high phosphates in the water, at least thats what caused it in my 200G before and i resolved the problem by using phosphate remover pads in the filter for a few weeks...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store