is this worth fixing ?

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
hey guys, i have a 100 gallon cracked tank(32x28x28) in my backyard. it nver had the chance to be filled with anything.
cracked tank.jpg
as u see, it is a bit dislocated by the other side of the crack. does anyone has some experience on fixing this? or should i just send it to the glass workshop? fyi, i fixed my 30 last month but tht's a small crack not as bad as this one. need your guys help and some opinions. i just dont want it to be wasted. :1zhelp:

cracked tank.jpg

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Better pics would help but what you want to do is silicone a another piece of glass over the cracks. You might have to reseal the tank and then silicone the pieces into the corner over the each crack. This is kind of what you want to do just with a bigger piece of glass I only used that little piece cause that was meant to be a lid. But I made a new one once the crack walked all the way cross. Sorry about the dark pics but I hope you see what I mean. ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1385530000.145599.jpgImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1385530018.047675.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
how bad was your crack man? better pics would surely help. :D as i said, my crack is a bit bad, the other side of crack is a bit dislocated to the other side(if u know wht i mean).
and ive already fix my 30g, this is some pics of it,
crack tank.jpg
crack tank 2.jpg
is this wht u meant? dont mind the messy silicone. hahah but yeah, now already have some tilapia fries in it.

crack tank.jpg

crack tank 2.jpg

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Oh I could careless about my crack that sheet of glass was cut from an old tank to make tank lids for my 90.I forgot to prop my t5 back up after a water change and the reflector heated the glass enough to crack it here's better pics. What you want to do is something like where the big chip is. I've done and seen a lot worse cracks fixed. The other day I fixed a 33 long at my Lfs cause when it was delivered it got dropped on the side and I patched it the same way I told you now the store had it running as a planted tank. ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1385535364.533577.jpgImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1385535388.016182.jpgImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1385535416.788906.jpg

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
And yes that's kind of what I meant but just added another piece of glass to cover the crack completely to prevent any walking

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
oh okay, and u said reseal the whole tank literally? or just the base(where the crack is). the last tank i fix, i didnt even reseal it. just silicone the crack and silicone the glass on. would tht be okay? the piece glass should be siliconed inside the tank right?

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
Read post #6 and #13 in the second Duane's explains it better. The first one would be ideal for you though since it's cracked the same way his was.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536220

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=543055

well, he posted on my last thread though on how to fix cracked tank. i cant see his pics on the 1st thread u mentioned. im in a limited supply of silicone now, only i bottle left, and it would be about 40/60km from my place to buy the aquarium type one, here they only sell those colored silicone. so yeah, thanks for the help man. really appreciate it, now i have an idea to fix it. probably by not removing the old silicone just like i did on my 30g but ill take the risk. :)

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Thanks doomiedee, you saved me some effort digging up pics.
And as far as fixing goes, I always think its worth it to fix, in fact when I see panes of glass in the alley to be thrown away, I always scarf them up (especially thick ones). Used somebodies old glass shelves for my last fix.
Read post #6 and #13 in the second Duane's explains it better. The first one would be ideal for you though since it's cracked the same way his was.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536220

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=543055

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
well, he posted on my last thread though on how to fix cracked tank. i cant see his pics on the 1st thread u mentioned. im in a limited supply of silicone now, only i bottle left, and it would be about 40/60km from my place to buy the aquarium type one, here they only sell those colored silicone. so yeah, thanks for the help man. really appreciate it, now i have an idea to fix it. probably by not removing the old silicone just like i did on my 30g but ill take the risk. :)
The color silicone will work as long as it's from aqueon or another fish supplies company but you can always get clear GE 1 at a hardware store or online. I would do it how he did his cause those cracks look big and the size capacity could lead to a blow out. Ask Duane's for pics or steps if you really need it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store