Has anyone gathered their own?

tavydown

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2012
boston
Interested in seeing if anyone has ever gathered your own driftwood and live plants, if so what did you gather and how did you make it safe for your tank. Always been something I have thought of but never really did anything with it. Any info would be great!

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
I've collected driftwood from lakes and the ocean. Soak in bucket of water with bleach overnight. I've also collected plants from lakes. Soak plants in a bleach solution - 19 part water to 1 part bleach for one to three minutes, depending upon how delicate the plant is.

DatnoidEd

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2013
Springfield, Ohio
I've found stumps in the woods. Sawed em up and soaked them in the bath tub. My wife wasn't very happy bc it looked like it was full of coffee a few days later but it worked. Stuck them on slate with stainless screwsImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1385589388.516396.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
I got mine from the woods near my house. It was a big branch that feel off of a tree that was struck by lighting. Soaked it in my old 75 same as above. I never collected any plants though

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1385589832.347645.jpg

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Collecting from water is good because there will less tannins leached from the wood to deal with, so there will less soaking.
But, when you collect from water you need to be careful not to add a parasite or other water born organism that could harm your fish.
This is why you will either need to boil or bleach whatever you collect. If you choose to bleach be sure all traces of bleach has been removed before you add it to the tank.

Collecting dry or dead, has to be soaked for a lot longer to remove the natural tannin in the wood. And to water log the pieces so that they don't float.

I never put any kind of "green" wood in my tanks. Because some tree saps can be toxic to fish in the confines of an aquarium.
"Green" wood would be live or fresh cut trees.

richkid

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2011
Penn's Woods
Yeah. I boiled my wood. No bleach. Also I did collect dry and never had tannin issues. As far as water logging I just used big rocks to hold the wood down and few months later it stays sunken without the stones.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Yeah. I boiled my wood. No bleach. Also I did collect dry and never had tannin issues. As far as water logging I just used big rocks to hold the wood down and few months later it stays sunken without the stones.

+1 my wood was collected dry and I don't have tanning issues at all. The leaves in the tank made the water look yellow

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store