black worms in sand bed for rectic stingray

Jumping Arowana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2012
Rhode Island
hi guys i got a well established 125 gallon planted tank. Im having trouble feeding my new rectic sting ray hes eating and doing good, but he is only eating black worms. Im trying to wean him on to earth worms but its gonna take a while. also my discus and rainbows are eating all his food before it hits the bottom so i bough a tube that i put in during feeding to let the worms sink so the food can get to him. but my other fish just wont give up and keep harassing him while he is eating. so to the question if i bury live black worms in my sand bed will they live, reproduce and maintain a stable population for my stingray to dig up and snack on? thanks.

the_deeb

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
NYC
Unfortunately not. Uneaten worms will survive and perist in the sand bed for a little while but they are unlikely to breed there, certainly not at a rate that will keep up with your ray's appetite.

I would put in a divider to separate the retic from the other inhabitants till you wean it onto other foods. Young retics need a lot of food and don't always compete well with other more aggressive eaters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store