growing out florida gar

fishonfishonfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2013
florida
so i decided to set up my 480G pond with shubunkin goldfish, I fell in love with a orange and black one at the pet store. Anyway i was wondering, I always wanted a florida gar in for 4,000g pond but I knew it would get to big and eat my GT and JD, so i got thinking and do think if a waiting for the goldfish to get 6 inches and added a 4-5 inch gar, if i could grow the Florida gar in there till he maxed out at 18 inch o so then switch him to the big pond?. The shubunkins get 12 inch and stay in the mid/bottom so im not to concerned about the gar attacking them. Is it possible?

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Gar will utilize the whole water column... But on that note I don't see why it shouldn't work as long as you have plenty fo food available for the gar that's a more suitable size ( like some sort of livebearer to keep the gar well fed and happy. I found my gar are content to eat smaller foods as long as its available vs a larger harder to tackle meal. particularly w/ a gar species as generally laid back as a florida. tbh if you have the space I'de get a group of 3-5 their interaction is well worth the mouths to feed.

fish squish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
United States
As previously noted, Florida Gar are pretty laid back, but they can and will take down prey items 1/3 their size. They'll grow pretty quickly to about 10-12 inches then slow down. A 12 inch florida gar isn't going to mess with a robust 6" goldfish unless it is starving, I'd go for it.

fish squish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
United States
needle nose 'gar'? the long slender ones, piscivores? They should be fine with floridas, provided they're well fed. Still a chance of mishaps but you really have that any time you house predators together.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
My florida destroyed or attempted to destroy a neddlefish when I first got into them... ime these 2 do not play well and likely has to do w/ the gar and needelfish having different languages. Gar are "pack" animals in that they devlop a heirachy in a group by postures ect... needlefish don't often understand this and a dominant gar will attack the needlefish time and again since it don't display "submission"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store