Travelling with fish in a styrofoam box? Good to go or don't do it?

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Super early tomorrow morning I'm meeting up with Max's buyer. My plan was to take him up there in a big old Segrest styrofoam fish shipping box. I don't have a bag for it though, so I was going to tape it up good and then put it in a big black trash bag to keep it from spilling. Fresh oxygen will be provided by a bubbler.

Will the styrofoam have a negative effect on the fish? I expect that it's probably neutral and safe, I just want to be sure.

Thanks all!

Rob

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Agreed,Is the buyer one of us?

SePPii

Dovii
MFK Member
May 21, 2011
Chesapeake, OH
I used a styrofoam box like your say to move a 10" GATF. Took water out directly from tank, caught him quickly, drilledhole in top of lid and added 2 10" bubble stones and duct taped the box shut, drive 2.5 hours and he was 100% fine

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Didn't realise you were selling him, sorry to hear you had to move him on. I know you've bought another container, but I've transported fish in poly boxes with no liner many times. They are good as they keep the heat in (or out), but can crack easily too. Lining it with a large bag would be better.

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I just got those cheap plastic containers from Walmart. They were 10 bucks each and about 3x2x2, I got a few of them, seperated my fish into who would get along best with who for 24 hours, Set the filters up on them and then when I moved andrefilled their tank and hooked the filters back up it was like one huge big water change for them. I didnt lose a single fish!

When you buy large fish at pet stores they usually put them in styrofoam boxes because it retains heat well. I have moved fish in styrofoam boxes before and I didn't have any problems but better safe than sorry.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
What about my biomedia guys? Just put it all in the bottom of the tote like a substrate?

I'd really rather not kill off all of my bio if I can avoid it.

My fish are mad at me. I have a 10" goonch, a 6" ATF and a 7" imperial loach living in ten gallons of water. I'm going to be doing some serious puckering until I get them back into something of decent size on Tuesday!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store