Hap/Peacock stocking help/ideas

r7man

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2013
Granbury,Texas
I am getting a 225 gallon aquarium this weekend. I want to do Haps/peacocks so what would you recommend? Also can I keep an "all male" tank but have a breeding group of one species like Placidochromis sp. "Phenochilus Tanzania?

csolo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2013
United States
If it has a breeding group it wouldnt be an all male tank and would most likely cause a riot. After owning an all male peacock/hap tank I ended up not liking it at all. They're colorful and popular but I'm not a fan of adding and removing fish constantly due to aggression. If I were to ever try Malawis again I would do breeding groups only. Good luck

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
If it has a breeding group it wouldnt be an all male tank and would most likely cause a riot. After owning an all male peacock/hap tank I ended up not liking it at all. They're colorful and popular but I'm not a fan of adding and removing fish constantly due to aggression. If I were to ever try Malawis again I would do breeding groups only. Good luck
This is true. I tried the all male thing too and I ended up rehoming so many fish.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ryan10

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2013
michigan
I have a thread called my "juvie tank" that a guy from a lfs is helping me stock. He hasn't steered me wrong yet. I got some pictures up for some ideas for you if you like.

GVerde

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2011
Chicago
A 225G would be a great tank for an all male. I have a 220G all male hap/peacock running for almost 4 years. Most of all the fish have been together for at least 2 years. At the moment my tank is pretty calm. I have a 10" venustus that chases a few of his tank mates but he doesn't really try to hurt them just to show he's boss. You can pretty much put any hap/peacock in there but I would suggest trying to put the majority of your stock at the same time as juveniles. Also try to put them close to the same size if you can. If you can find juvenile males that would be best but you may have to raise unsexed fish until they show color and remove the females. If you add peacocks and haps choose ones that do not look similar or they will fight one another. I only have 3 species of peacocks and 17 species of haps. Zimbawe rock, milomo v10, b. rhoadesii, b nototaena, c. rhoadesii, d. kwinge, n. venustus, n. livingstoni, p. tanzania, p. mdoka white lips, rhamphochromis longiceps, stigmatochromis pleurospilus & "spilostichus type", t. nigriventor, o. tetraspilus, champ caeruleus & spilorhynchus. Most of these haps are hard to find but you can put more common haps like electic blue, red empress, and c. borleyi. I wouldn't put a breeding group of p. tanzanias in there unless they were the largest and most dominant in the tank. P. tanzanias are very docile and they won't breed in a all male tank usually. A separate tank would be best for them. You will also probably need a separate time out tank in the future when they mature to house an overly aggressive male. You will always need to be on your toes and watch the tank everyday for aggressive tank mates, but once a pecking order is established it gets a lot calmer. Stay away from n. fusco, they are too aggressive and absolutely no mbunas of any kind.

r7man

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2013
Granbury,Texas
I'm thinking about stocking 1m to 3-4f
Placidochromis sp. "Phenochilus Tanzania"
Cyrtocara moori (Blue Dolphin)
Fossorochromis rostratus
Lichnochromis acuticeps
Aulonocara stuartgranti (Chiwindi)

zoomed.com