Fish Tank Odor

Sharkbait0629

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2013
Hamilton, NJ
HEEEELLPPP!!!!! SO i have tried everything I can possibly think of to try and get my aquarium to stop smelling and it just won't go away. I have the old company "Aquaclear" now fluval filter 40-70 gallons on a 20 long with a bubbler. I do my weekly water changes, there are live plants, I use API Stress Zyme every week and I have a bag of carbon along with a bag of zeocarb and it still smells! The same thing is happening in my Oscar tank. He's in a 20 gallon with a 50 gallon marine land penguin filter and his water smells too! I am getting a canister filter tomorrow for his tank but in his filter currently there is 2 bags of zeocarb along with a back of carbon. ANY SUGGESTIONS!!!???? I'm dying over here!? I've had this problem before but it was never this bad and it went away in like a week. PLEASE HELPPPP!!!!!

Sharkbait0629

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2013
Hamilton, NJ
The Oscar gets 3 Massivore pellets and 2 veggie wafers which he inhales instantaneously, how ever he spits food out everywhere. And then he gets an Omega One cichlid frozen diet food cube which he also inhales in 1 bite and he doesn't spit this out as much. His water always tests out fine pH is like 7.2 no nitrites less then 0.25 ppm nitrate and ammonia and I think the water is hard. I use city water from my sink. As far as the 20 long tropical tank goes they also have normal water tests with the same readings as the Oscar. I only feed them once a day they get a pinch of Aqueon color enhancing tropical flakes. I drop 2 veggie wafers and 2 massivore pellets. As far as water changes go I usually do a 50% water change on the Oscar tank and usually about a 25% change on the tropicals.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
If the food is comming out of it's gills or it spits it out it is a sign the food is too large. Break the pellets up and feed less at a time allowing the fish to completly consume the food. Also how does the tank smell can you discribe it? It it and earthy smell like dirt or an ammonia smell or a rotten egg smell.

Sharkbait0629

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2013
Hamilton, NJ
No he just spits it out of his mouth.... I know for a fact the food isn't too big. It's just like he doesn't seem to want to eat it. The pellets are much smaller then the frozen cube food and that frozen food cube he eats in one bite, with very little spit out. And I would say the Oscars tank has a closer smell to being like rotten eggs, he did have live plants in there but he kept ripping them up so I took them out but I believe they were starting to rot a little and were causing a bit of a smell but that was like weeks ago. As far as the tropical tank its not as strong of an odor as the Oscar is, I don't know how to describe that one, its not quite like dirt but its not like ammonia or rotten eggs either...

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I agree totally with aquanero, but would like to add that massivore pellets even after feeding will leave a bad lingering oder try switching to an alternative pellet for a while and see if that will help.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
A rotten egg smell is and indication of Hydrogen Sulfide (H2s), this is caused by an anarobic condition somewhere in the tank. Hydrogen Sulfide can build up under a decoration or in the substrate. It can also start in filter media that is not getting sufficent circulation. My suggestion would be to do a 50% water change while doing a deep vacuming of the substrate. After the initial cleanning do every other day 25% water changes and sustrate vacuming everyother day for a week this should solve the problem. Also make sure the filters are not over packed with media and the flow is unobstructed. Also don't feed frozen cubes to the oscar, thaw them in cup of tank water before feeding and for the next week feed every other day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store