Asian gar

508fishtanks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2013
MA
I have a 45 gallon with a variety of small aggressors in it including (pike,konvict,sharks, etc) well I've always been fascinated with gar fish. The other day I came across a Asian gar about the same size as a majority of the fish in the tank. None of the ish are super aggressive more of fin nippers or chasers. I just wanted a second opinion on adding him to the aquarium. Also I have a fire eel that I love so if gars are none for killing eels I would like to know also lol

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

arosky

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2010
Colorado
Hello awesome you gauge interest in gars, to answer your question its hit or miss, from my experience gars don't really mess with anything that can't fit in there mouth but I would be more worried for the gar to get picked on depending on what you currently have. Reason being some of the fish you stated I believe are territorial.

And could you specify on Asian gar I am unaware of the kind.

Do you by chance have another tank just incase?

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
What's the scientific name for the "Asian gar."

i'm pretty sure it's actually a characin.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
I believe he's talking about needle nose gars, they are from se asia and prefer schools, so try to get like 3 or 4 at least. They will group up so I don't think the other fish will mess with them if they back each other up

I also believe it may be a characin

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

508fishtanks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2013
MA
Yea I belive they are needle nose gars as well but I don't wanna over crowd my tank with gars is there somthing small or anything I could put it at the same time as the far to even it out

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Yes needles prefer planted tanks, that should help. Also regularly rearranging decor helps my experimentive comm (putting fish half the size that people here say will be eaten by others but w/o problems since they're all on pellet!)

Other then one recent incident where the wolf fish went for the same pellet as a juvi orino pbass and got a bit messed up lol

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store