Asian gar feeding question

508fishtanks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2013
MA
I have a tank with a newly added Asian gar. He is with two sevini pikes , convict and calico convict, jack Dempsey, fire eel, and a jewel cichlid. I feed them a variety of food including sinking pellets flakes guppies tuffies blood worms and different species of shrimp. The main food in there diet though is the pellets flakes and blood worms. But since I got the gar he only eats guppies but with the aggressive eaters I have to get a ton of guppies!!! Does anyone got any tricks to get gar to eat pellets flakes bloodworms or any else than just guppies?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
If this is a Xenetodon cancila, he is NOT a gar - (wrong place for this) - and no - he won't eat dry foods at all. Live fish only - a few have gotten VERY LUCKY to have them eat krill, but that's it.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Ok thanks why isn't it a true gar?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
There are a few different "gar like" fish that just get nicknamed after real gar like alligator, flordia, longnose etc because they look somewhat alike in appearance they just don't get giant!

Huejta gar, needle nose gar etc are some examples of characins (sp) that aren't a true species of gar but still awesome unique fish IMO!

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title and 9 wins back to back in 1 season (record!) See you next year in Australia boys!×

Cheap way to decrease nitrates and keep your fish healthy: http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504763

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Yes i agree F1, id honestly rather have some of the false gar then the real ones, like hujeta

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store