Put Fahaka puffer in tank?

Keeper of monster fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2013
Texas
At my LFS I saw this 1.5 in fahaka puffer it's really small right now and i really like fish. I was wondering if I could keep in my 55 gallon until I upgrade, and if so what to upgrade to. In my 55 gallon is 1 ebjd, 2 severums, and 1 pleco they are still not full grown the tank is healthy and had a oscar in there until recently I gave him to LFS because he got to big for the tank to fast.

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
Careful, now let met tell you this, it's better to have all the equipment ready for the fahaka before you get one.

Also your fahaka may give a serious bite out of those fish you have in your 55g sir. Better read out more fahaka care sheets before you try to venture out, I'd say yes, it's a hit or miss, but most of the times it's a bloodbath mix.

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
Yeah, anything in a tank with a Fahaka that cant kill the Fahaka will eventually be killed by it.

And they get HUGE.

Great fish, supposed very rewarding to keep. Just be prepared. This is an animal with very specific needs.

L98Z28

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2013
PA
Fahakas will almost all the time kill any tank mates. Don't get it unless you are going to give it it's own 120 gallon tank

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I wouldn't go any smaller than a 180. A Fahaka can get up to 18 inches long. You will need a 2 foot deep tank. Not to mention the added length would help and the add water would help nitrates.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I wouldn't go any smaller than a 180. A Fahaka can get up to 18 inches long. You will need a 2 foot deep tank. Not to mention the added length would help and the add water would help nitrates.

^ agreed with the above...

They do go pretty fast, mine went from 1.5" to a hair over 12" in under a year, but then slow down considerably after 12"...

Ad for tank mates, i have a fahaka who happens to be willing (to a certain extent) to share her tank with a pleco and yellow lab chiclid... But you have to be prepared to give any extra fish a lot of hiding spaces away from the fahaka, and even that is a big gamble, since most fahakas come as murders once they hit a certain legnth...

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
I find this amusing.

You talk about getting a Fahaka in a 55g "until I upgrade" but then a sentence later you talk about selling your Oscar because he is too big.

I'm a firm believer in only buying a fish if you already have the equipment to handle it for life, since 95% of the time when people saying they are going to upgrade, they don't. Just walk into your fish store and check out the standard plecos or RTCs at about 18" (when they outgrow small tanks) for $10....

badassissimo

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Mansfield, Louisiana, U.S.A.
I find this amusing.

You talk about getting a Fahaka in a 55g "until I upgrade" but then a sentence later you talk about selling your Oscar because he is too big.

I'm a firm believer in only buying a fish if you already have the equipment to handle it for life, since 95% of the time when people saying they are going to upgrade, they don't. Just walk into your fish store and check out the standard plecos or RTCs at about 18" (when they outgrow small tanks) for $10....
Yup. I admit to being a petco customer for a pacu once upon atime but can also agree.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I give my Fahaka all of the fish from our clubs monthly auction. Buck a bag for the ones nobody takes. He eats them all a piece at a time. He is only 8" and eats 4" fish by the chunk.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ not sure i agree with your diet for your fahaka since they arent dont normally eat fish...

Mussels, clams, market prawns, crays etc are a much better diet imho...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store