overnight delivery of rays

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
ive had a lot of people asking if i can send rays via overnight carrier.

ive always said no in the past and have traveled some distances in order to avoid it but i hear more and more that people are doing it so i thought i would ask.

anyone had any experience with this ?

any tips on overnighting rays ?

ive been a bit reluctant since i heard of a nice rare pair of rays that didnt make it but i know people are using overnight more and more so thought i would ask the question

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
It is risky but I have received a 8" ray overnight not planned (missed connection flight and spent night at airport), I have shipped a pup that spent the night in a airport, and I have shipped a pup overnight intentionally. I would not risk it with anything large for sure but under 8" you can make it work. Really the key is the more air the better. As long as the ray is under water it will be fine but you do not want it to run out of air. I would also not ship overnight below 60 degrees. The biggest issue with overnight is the cost. If you put too much water in the bag it will cost you a ton to ship.

flamenco-t

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2006
South of Heaven
Intentionally ? No but have had that happened due to missed connecting flight due to blizzard and the ray survived after being bagged for 19 hours

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
A few years ago i lost a few motoros that got lost for a few days. I felt rely bad. I had a buddy that lost a big handful of rays when they lost the box. After that i never chanced it. I never found a reason not to ship an expensive ray ap to ap so i dont offer overnite anymore

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

swedeboy78

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2011
My crib
I have received rays overnight and they have all made it. I just recently started shipping them myself and frankly too worried to do it overnight which is why I only do AP to AP, it's better for the fish which is more important to me.

B_IN_SD

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2006
Sturgis S.D.
Check the ammonia level in the shipping water after an overnight trip,you might not want to do it that way.

Stateofficer1984

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2011
Fairmont North Carolina
I received my two marble motoros overnight at the same time from Oregon and I live inNC , I ccouldn't rest easy until I had the acclimated. They were packed very well with heat pack and oxygen.. They were also not fed for a few days prior.. Even though they were packed with heat packs the water was still on the cool side..

BTW they were shipped UPS

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
i think i will have to stick to not overnighting them. i know how the parcel firms handle parcels for overnights. the lost box thing happens too often with carriers. specially if a driver has too many deliverys on.

i dont trust the heat packs to do a good enough job of keeping water warm in normal weather and i doubt the work if they get a little damp.

the weather being as cold as it is at the moment i guess its a no no for overnights.

thanks for the info :)

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
Good call to not do it. The biggest problem with heat packs is they need air to work. Using bottom bags with rays cut down on air space in box then you seal box up keeping air out so the heat packs end up smothering and stop working. If you use a bigger box then price again goes up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store