Is this Overstocked?

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
(Keep in mind this is a grow out, going into at least 180-250 gallons in spring)

Its a 70 ga, the exact dimens escape me but its a wide not a tall

Stock goes
Red Hi Fin Wolf (7.5-8 inch)
Ornate Bichir (8 inch)
Gold Dust Bichir (6 inch)
Palmas Polli Bichir (6 inch)
Possibly orino Peacock Bass (4 inch)
IT Datnoid (4 inch)
Gymno Balzani (4.5 inch developing a slight hump :) )
Leopard Ctenopoma (4.5 inch)

Filtration is a AC 110 w/ a mini bag of carbon, extra max pellets, and a layered sponge (helps cleaning the sponge, cutting width wise) and a power head that a put some sponge in to be a little prefilter. Will be adding pothos and a mini algae screen (in-tank, like uarujoeys on YouTube) this weekend, long as I can finally find pothos. Also have an air pump running. WCs every 2 days at 40 % keeps the nitrates below 20

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Thats why im going w/ the pothos and algae screen, I think im going to replace the powerhead with something with more room for bio

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Can you post a pick? To me my 120 with my 1' chocolate cichlid, 1' endi, 7" sen, and breeding pair of salvini 4" and 6" (female in my avatar) looks overstocked (to me) but sounds fine (to me). It sounds a bit overstocked and underfiltered.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Can't get good full tank shots because my dresser and fridge are right across from the tank and stand (stand is an old stone topped desk that juts out a foot and a half past the face of the tank), Ive tried holding it in the right spot up against my fridge but its never all in frame lol I have plenty of closer pics I can put up though. Can't wait till my build, rearranging my room around it so I can view easily and take good full tank shots, didn't even think about it setting this up

I had a feeling this would be considered overstocked and underfiltered, that's why I made a thread lol do you guys think an algae scrubber and pothos combo would help enough till spring? Everything will be going in the build for a bit, till the bigger guys get big enough to eat the smaller guys. My cten thinks he's a dat or something, he's getting mean

Build is coming so the upgrade plan is in the works and I don't want to invest too much funding into more filtration to throw on there when I'm going to be getting the filtration put together for the build relatively soon, then the 70 will be my grow out with less then 5 fish at a time.

I don't scrub the back wall, it makes it look like there's algae on the rocks of the background
uploadfromtaptalk1385945515036.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1385945577899.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1385945597570.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1385945678532.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1385945719918.jpg

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
They seem fine, the palmas is stunning!

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Thank you! His colors are coming out nicely now he's gotten warmed up to color enhancing pellet, as far as I know they act normal. Their growth rate seems normal too if I have it all right. The only thing is my Dat, he goes up and hides under the power head and let's it pull him off balance. He did this in my grow out too, he's eating and seems to always claim a spot with a bubbler.. he either is one of those fish that just like bubbles (finding nemo thing popped in my head lol) or it might be a dat thing? Or maybe just getting used to the tank? I had asked on the dat forum but it seems pretty dead as of late I just want to be sure its not an immediate issue. I've seen him do this stable and unstable

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
Even at 13" my thinbar dat likes to take refuge behind a piece of driftwood quite often. Another favorite spot for him is directly in front of the powerhead. From what I've seen they like a bit of current. So as long as your dat is eating well and not hiding because he's getting bullied, I don't believe I'd be too concerned by the behavior you're seeing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
^thanks for the input man, id love to get a thin bar but i dont know how it would do w/ my indo, ive heard bad and good things about mixing them.

So far hes doing the bullying.. even my red wolf doesnt phase him haha

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
If you don't have ammonia you aren't under-filtered, and if you're happy with changing that much water I'd say you're OK. Certainly bordering on the heavy side though, I couldn't be bothered changing that much water!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store