Did something stupid - new Gator gar. How long can I enjoy him?

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
Title say it all.

I picked up a new alligator gar (will post pics for positive ID, but from what I can tell by the jaw, he's a gator, not a Florida). I've been missing a gar in my aquarium since my fl gar passed away mysteriously. The new guy in about 9-10" long and currently residing in my 180 with the rest of my large, mean fish. Now I know I shouldn't have bought him. I know he's going to outgrow my tank. And I'm not going to wax poetic about how I saved him from a tiny tank (though I will say it was significantly smaller than my 180).

My real question here is how long will I get to enjoy my new gar before he outgrows my tank and has to be re-homed? What's the avg monthly growth rate on these guys?

Thanks for any input.

- John

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Ya its a gator and not long

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Meh...possibly a year at best. All depends how quick he grows and turns on ur other stock :) there pretty placid until 18-20" but can become extremly nippy as they grow and gain confidence. Whats ur other stock? Anything around the same size of a gator is fair game for a chew toy. Also suggest weighting down ur lids as theyre jumpers. Enjoy him while u can, one of my favs to keep.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

baji

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2012
Chennai, India
U can keep him Untill he can turn and swim easily without any disturbance in that 180... fish doesn't know its a 180 or something, clean water, food and enough space to swim tats all they wanted and caring... he is already pushing 1 feet, so ur time is very limited...

Monster Fish Keeper...

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
I figured it wouldn't be long. I was also concerned with their temperment. I didn't know they were nippers. He's in with a 12" common wolf, 14" clown knife, and 12" H. Odoe. Nobody in the tank is exactly cuddly, so hopefully they will play nice. My old FL gar was a very passive fish though. Never nipped, and in return was never attacked. He's one of the only fish I've ever seen who got away with sleeping on top of my wolf fish.

I guess I'll see how the gator behaves. He's already taken an interest in the odoe. Not sure if it's curiosity or maliciousness yet, but I imagine I'll find out soon.

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
Tiny update.

He seems cautious around my fish. I have to figure the wolf scared him. He hangs around the surface mostly and he didn't come out during the group feeding time.

On a positive note though,he did swim down and grab a couple chunks of shrimp that went uneaten after the feeding, so I know he will eat something other than live!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Ya um wow that's a crazy stock. I can't believe everyone is nice to each other.

Mostly the wolf has me worried

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
Just to be clear, the wolf hates everyone..... And he's always worried me, but that's part of the fun of keeping him I guess. He would be the first fish I part with if pushed though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store