Debating a switch

Matt S

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2012
Mass
Well I have a 180 gallon and it's been up and running close to 9 years ive been kind of getting bored with FW and have kept basically everything and every time i go into my lfs i always browse the SW section and the fish are just amazing and i was wondering how difficult it would be to switch it over to salt and about how much it would roughly cost me to do this
Any advice from advanced keepers would be great I kept a salt tank briefly but it was only 40 gallons and someone set the whole setup up for me and basically walked me threw everything I needed to do when the time came but this I will be doing my self so any advice will help and for now if i decide about doing this huge project it would just be a FOWLR setup at the beginning

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

nishant_datta

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2006
New Delhi, India
if you go for a fish only to begin with it may cost a little less as live rock also has specific lighting requirements and comes with its own set of setting up issues (extra work required). although I personally feel that a FOWLR would be best for a tank this size.

fishfreak2009

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2009
Michigan
if you go for a fish only to begin with it may cost a little less as live rock also has specific lighting requirements and comes with its own set of setting up issues (extra work required). although I personally feel that a FOWLR would be best for a tank this size.
Live rock doesn't have its own set of setting up issues (it's actually easier) and doesn't require specific lighting requirements. Maybe to grow bright purple algae, but the rock itself and the bacteria it contains that help filter the tank don't need light. Honestly, sometimes saltwater is easier than freshwater. Just make sure you quarantine all fish. Definitely go FOWLR. It is so much easier to maintain. I run both my big tanks (180 predator) and 187 (peaceful FOWLR) as a bare bottom with about 125 lbs. of live rock. Both have a large protein skimmer, live rock, and caulerpa growing in the sump/refugium as a filtration system.

jstautberg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Cincinnati
I just recently switched from FW to SW. After a year my advice would be to start with FOWLR and get a ROI system. I just have a simple ROI that I can easily detach from my bar sink in my basement but it is a worthwhile investment. Be very patient in the beginning about not adding too many fish. Definitely add inverts to your tank. After a few months you will be amazed how cool your tank will look. Freshwater fish was a hobby. Saltwater has become an obsession. There are endless possibilities that make it really cool. Oh and research, research, research. Listen to all of the great advice from this forum.

Matt S

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2012
Mass
Thanks guys I'm not to sure if I'm switching yet but if I do I'm not going anything past FOWLR I just don't know if I'm up to the challenge and I don't have room for another tank to be my QT tank so I'm not sure if I'm going to jump in it or not

Matt S

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2012
Mass
Well after a long time thinking I've decide to get a small 40 breeder and start with that and see where it goes and then maybe down the road if I completely fall in love with salt ill switch my 180 but for now my 180 will stay fresh and I'm starting the 40 breeder with salt picking the tank up this Sunday then getting the equipment I need and hopefully ill be up and running within the month

JonY3k

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Ohio Wooster
Why a 40 breeder? the 65 is the same footprint just taller. I have both tanks because I started out with the 40 breeder then realized that the 65 will fit on the same stand and all of the same equipment. Now my 40 breeder is on the bottom shelf of the stand empty most of the time and the 65 is a QT tank.

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
Why a 40 breeder? the 65 is the same footprint just taller. I have both tanks because I started out with the 40 breeder then realized that the 65 will fit on the same stand and all of the same equipment. Now my 40 breeder is on the bottom shelf of the stand empty most of the time and the 65 is a QT tank.
You have a 40 which is empty and a 65 which is a QT tank. Do you have a display tank?

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Fowlr tanks are cool but imo, it's worth the extra time and money to do a reef. Even if it's just a 29 gallon reef (like mine) it will still be a real show stopper.

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Thanks guys I'm not to sure if I'm switching yet but if I do I'm not going anything past FOWLR I just don't know if I'm up to the challenge and I don't have room for another tank to be my QT tank so I'm not sure if I'm going to jump in it or not

woops, didnt read this post :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store