Adding soil to established tank with dolphin fish (mormyrid)

Lauren Deadly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2013
Orange County
Hi guys,

Trying out some aquascaping in one of my tanks and would like to add some soil to an already established tank but need to make sure it won't cause an ammonia spike. It's just a little 37g tall with some rocks, a piece of driftwood with some java moss growing over it, duckweed, and some hairgrass in a pot floating and waiting to be planted. I've got a natural looking gravel in there right now and I planned to just stick the new soil over the existing gravel 1) because it looks nice and 2) because it will create a thicker layer.

I've got a new Japanese soil we've been using for our planted shrimp tanks at work that works really well, but I can't really find much info on it online. It says to let it filter for 12 hrs before adding fish but what if I want to add it to my existing tank? I've come across some info on people saying soils will cause ammonia spikes but those were also products that said to filter for 3 weeks before fish. Also, would it cause my PH to drop too quickly? I've got 7.5 ish straight from the tap and this soil causes it to drop, which my fish would like, but hopefully it won't happen too drastically.

It's a 37 tall, 50g sponge filter, air stone, and a light I picked up from work specifically for plant lighting (I forget exactly which one)

This is also housing two beautiful little morymrus kanuume (freshwater dolphin fish) so it's essential that I am as cautious as possible. I'd put them in my 125 but it's housing some feisty SA cichlids.

The soil is "Mr. Aqua Water Plants Activated Soil." Most of it is in Japanese lol

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----

alexanian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Damascus
Every soil will do the same. It will lower the pH and release some ammonia in the tank. Frequents water changes will lessen negative effects on the fish and if you have another established filter you can add to the tank will help with converting ammonia. The couple of weeks fishless cycle period most people talk about is so the existing filter will grow more beneficial bacteria to handle the new release of ammonia. With another established filter, few more plants and a water change every couple of days will help ur fish get through it. Keep testing ur water until u get safe readings.

alexanian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Damascus
BTW U want to put the soil under the gravel and not on top, otherwise ur tank will be always cloudy as the dirt gets kicked in the water column. U can do it half of tank ( move everything to the other side place soil, top it with gravel) and then move everything back to that side and do the other side. Obviously the fish will have to removed during this process in to a temporary container until everything is done and the soil settles and then u can put them back.

Lauren Deadly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2013
Orange County
Found this online

http://mraqua.net/products/planted-substrate/ma-027-water-plants-activated-soil/

Seems it will lower your PH due to that being what this soil says it will do...

As for ammonia, im guessing that is from the ferts being released from the soils... So may require a few extra water changes and a close eye on tank mates to see how they do?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Yes this is the exact bag. :) I'm aware it will lower PH, does it happen rapidly though? I'm concerned about rapid change even if it's ideal for the fish. They've adjusted to slightly harder water.

BTW U want to put the soil under the gravel and not on top, otherwise ur tank will be always cloudy as the dirt gets kicked in the water column. U can do it half of tank ( move everything to the other side place soil, top it with gravel) and then move everything back to that side and do the other side. Obviously the fish will have to removed during this process in to a temporary container until everything is done and the soil settles and then u can put them back.

Really? If I do that then my runner will have a harder time growing through the gravel I thought. Ideally I would have just straight soil but since the gravel is already in there and it's cheaper to have this gravel than another bag of the soil, I figured I would keep it on the bottom. I don't really want any of my gravel exposed since it's not a great substrate for the new morymrid.

As far as the first comment, I've got an established sponge filter in there; would that help with the ammonia? I'm just insanely worried about doing anything drastic because these fish are insanely sensitive and brand spankin new and tiny so I'm still getting them nice and strong. Having to add the soil is unavoidable though since that tank is waiting to be planted, they just sort of came unexpectedly. I've had them special ordered for over a year now and my boss sort of just surprised me one day when they showed up at the wholesaler. I'll gladly do daily water changes but would it really suffice in not harming my fish? I'm worried about stressing them out unnecessarily with frequent changes, adding prime (which is a chemical even if it is dechlorinating) and moving about. And should be changes be small like 10% or should I do 25%?

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
I would not dirt an already established tank. if anything, wait until you have a fresh tank to dirt.

I used eco-complete, as that isn't as messy and I could add my fish back into the tank on the same day I changed out the substrate.

Lauren Deadly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2013
Orange County
but then how else am I supposed to do this planted tank? this is my practice round before we start aquascaping our 240. that doesn't seem practical to only get one chance to start aquascaping. is this soil known for being that bad? I've heard it's awesome, that's why I got it

alexanian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Damascus
Every soil will cause an ammonia spike. Think of it like adding poo of 30-40 fish in ur tank at once. Ur established filter that is already in the tank has only enough bacteria to handle the waste of the two fish that are already there. Growing bacteria to handle any new waste will take time of about 1-2 weeks. The organic matter and ferts that are in any soil will release ammonia in to the water the same way fish waste will. Adding an established filter other then the one thats in the tank already will provide additional number of bacteria instantly capable to handle the new release of ammonia. If u don't want to keep the gravel then remove all of it, but cap the dirt with sand. Leaving the soil on top will make ur water dirty and cloudy like a puddle by the road. Even u put the soil on top of the gravel in time it will fall through the gaps in the gravel and settle under it only it will be longer, messier and more frustrating. U will have to remove the fish for one day minimum if u do it with an extra filter to avoid the initial ammonia spike. If they're very sensitive I'd recommend longer. Get a water test kit and test ammonia and nitrate/nitrite levels before u add the fish back to make sure it's safe. Check the pH too and acclimate them by mixing the water gradually before u add them back if the difference is too big. There is no easy and instant way of doing this. Any shortcuts could end up in a disaster, either leaving ur tank cloudy and dirty or in worst case killing ur fish.

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
but then how else am I supposed to do this planted tank? this is my practice round before we start aquascaping our 240. that doesn't seem practical to only get one chance to start aquascaping. is this soil known for being that bad? I've heard it's awesome, that's why I got it
Use an inert substrate mean for planted tanks, such as fluorite or Eco complete. Honestly, planted tanks are meant to start planted, so you have to approach it diffidently if you are coverting.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store