Bringing dats to the US from Thailand

hulk181

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2012
Cerritos CA
I went to Thailand earlier this year and went to their huge tropical fish market there. Its actually a swap meet with about 70-80 quality fish stores (Chatuchak weekend market).

I saw a few shops selling big NTTs for about 500 baht. They were like 8-10" and thats about $17. I didn't see any ST or ngt unfortunately.

Anybody know what i need to do so i can bring a box of them on the plane with me? I want to bring a few big dats or maybe a group of smaller ones with me.

fattiger

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2012
Where the Amazon meets the Mekong
Wow so cheap u should bring in a bunch for resale and it can pay for your trip

Dats are selling like hotcakes these days perhaps bc its xmas time

Sent from my SGH-M819N using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
^ Right! I feel theyre just the perfect mix of a pretty fish everyone will like and a predator like we like lol

As strollo said, look into permits and such, good heating units (it gets COLD in air cargo), permits to import them to the US and export them from Thailand.. It may be a good idea to get a lot like some had suggested then sell em! Ive never seen them for sale at that size but id feel a 10 inch NTT would catch like 100-150 at the least!

Fishes33

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2006
Canada, Toronto
^ Right! I feel theyre just the perfect mix of a pretty fish everyone will like and a predator like we like lol

As strollo said, look into permits and such, good heating units (it gets COLD in air cargo), permits to import them to the US and export them from Thailand.. It may be a good idea to get a lot like some had suggested then sell em! Ive never seen them for sale at that size but id feel a 10 inch NTT would catch like 100-150 at the least!
No need to import, just drive to Toronto, I give it to you $90 each

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?562579-NTT-Datnoid-Markham-ON

:D

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I went to Thailand earlier this year and went to their huge tropical fish market there. Its actually a swap meet with about 70-80 quality fish stores (Chatuchak weekend market).

I saw a few shops selling big NTTs for about 500 baht. They were like 8-10" and thats about $17. I didn't see any ST or ngt unfortunately.

Anybody know what i need to do so i can bring a box of them on the plane with me? I want to bring a few big dats or maybe a group of smaller ones with me.
Big tigers don't travel well so I wouldn't risk it

I had 4 ST shipped from Singapore years ago all about 12" one was dead on arrival and one was belly upon the bag

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yep,Jojo recently sent one from Pennsylvania to Canada and the buyer couldn't have been able to get much sleep from worrying about it.

hulk181

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2012
Cerritos CA
Big tigers don't travel well so I wouldn't risk it

I had 4 ST shipped from Singapore years ago all about 12" one was dead on arrival and one was belly upon the bag

T1, do you think a group of 8-10 3-4" NTT would travel better than a big tiger? That was my other plan in case I couldn't bring in 3 big tigers.

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
If shipped correctly, tigers aren't any more difficult to ship than any other fish. This is from quite a few vendors that ship large tigers all the time. The key is to not put them in a bag but rather a plastic container with a bag as a liner. Datnoids spines can and will puncture a bag causing the water to leak out. Just my 2 cents. Datnoids are among the hardiest fishes i've kept so I can't imagine why they wouldn't travel well if packaged correctly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store