Ideas for first SW tank

Munger22391

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2013
Reno, NV
I am upgrading a couple of my FW tanks in a couple months and will have an extra 40g breeder tank that I want to make into SW. I have only done FW so far but now want to go more toward the SW. I have always been interested in colorful and bizarre or unusual fish but there is so many SW fish that im not even sure where to start. I'm thinking of going with a FOWLR for this first set up so I can learn more and then maybe turn one of my old 55g's into a reef set up. what would be some good fish for a 40g breeder? any suggestions would be helpful since at this time all I really know is FW

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
If I was you I will set the tank up first and then worry about the fish.

To give you an answer to your question a goby/pistol shrimp pair is pretty cool. Both look good, have nice color and might share a hole in the sand together. Clownfish is always one of peoples favorite fish. You should also look into blennies and wrasses.

midnight_games

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2012
Albany, GA
Def have you tank set-up and cycled before you had any fish.
Clownfish; dwarf angels; bleenies; gobies; shrimp/crabs; damsels/chromis; You could even do some mollies if you have the patience to convert them over to saltwater.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Munger22391

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2013
Reno, NV
Thanks for the ideas ill look up some info on those fish later today

but yes I plan on setting up the tank and making sure its cycled and then slowly add the fish. I just want to try and figure out what I want it to end up having so I can set it up to fit their needs

would a dwarf lion fish or another kind be able to live happily in a 40g breeder? my fiance really doesn't want me to set up another tank but she loves lion fish so I know that would make her on board and let me start it sooner haha

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
A 40 is a little iffy for a dwarf lionfish. I wouldn't reccomend it to start. Most won't take pellets and many won't take frozen. They are not easy to convert like freshwater fish. Most predators produce a lot of waste and 40 gallons isn't a lot to dilute it with. You won't even have 40 gallons with all the rock in it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store