Question on FLGs and tankmates

jar2x

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2013
Philippines
I currently have 2 FLGs 11-12", P. delhezi 10", TT eel 11" M. favus if im not mistaken. they are all currently in a 55g growout and will be moving to a 180g in a weeks time or when its done cycling. Now, my problem is that the tank (55g) does not look like it has fish in it. all fish just stay at the bottom. i imagine the 180g would look very empty. any suggestions on tankmates? im looking for something to occupy the top to mid level of the tank. something that is maybe at most 2'. i considered an asian arowana, but i dont think i have the space for it.

i was considering IT datnoid/s, but i couldnt find any info on what level they occupy or even if they stay out in the open.

im just really looking for something that when someone looks at the tank, he/she immediately knows its an aquarium instead of asking why is there a glass box full of water in the living room.

Also, i read that it is normal for FLGs to be just sitting at the bottom but, is there any way to increase their activity? because really, if they were swimming around as much as i hoped they would, i wouldnt be looking for any more tankmates.

thanks in advance

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I've always found floridas to be more active when housed in larger groups. Maybe try adding another 1 or 2 and see if that gets them moving more.

jar2x

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2013
Philippines
will see.. its kinda difficult to find FLGs here.. i mostly see alligator gars in the LFS.. any other suggestions? btw, i tried silver dollars before, they were about 1.5". i thought they would not be messed with because of their shape.. they killed 3 out of 6 in 2 days. would larger silver dollars work? or will they still show aggression?

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
will see.. its kinda difficult to find FLGs here.. i mostly see alligator gars in the LFS.. any other suggestions? btw, i tried silver dollars before, they were about 1.5". i thought they would not be messed with because of their shape.. they killed 3 out of 6 in 2 days. would larger silver dollars work? or will they still show aggression?
Gars usually will try and attack silver fish. Even larger ones will likely get nipped. Are you able to find African arowana in the Philippines? This is one of the tankmates often recommended for gars that will actively swim.

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
If you're into moderately sized monsters, a single or 4-5 H. odoe's would look nice. They just have to be big enough not to get munched by the gars.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
They rest on the bottom when the water is either cool, or unheated. Mine do this all winter when temps drop.

In a tank that is kept warm, they should be active all the time. Otherwise you have water issues.

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
My Fl gar used to rest on the bottom from time to time.

Hey Kevin, just curious but how big were the Odoes compared to the Gars when you had them together?

jar2x

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2013
Philippines
i live in the philippines. temperature is from 27-30 degrees celcius. water parameters are tested every week and my nitrates never go above 30. leaning towards getting more gars.. already asked around.. my LFS might get a few in within the month. thanks a lot for the replies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store