Second freshwater eel good or bad idea

booth2010

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2013
Florida
I have a 75 gal African Cichlid tank, I have a fluval 305 and a Eheim 2217 canister filters running. I have 7 cichlids now (am buying 3-4 a week for the next few weeks till have 20ish fish) but also in the tank is a freshwater eel that is green with black spots/stripes on it (don't remember the name have had it for about 8 months). Also have a leopard catfish and a common pleco. I really want to get a fire eel as well because of how cool they look. My question is, is the tank big enough for 2 eels? Or maybe better question is would they fight with each other?

Runitis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg,MB, Canada
I have a 75 gal African Cichlid tank, I have a fluval 305 and a Eheim 2217 canister filters running. I have 7 cichlids now (am buying 3-4 a week for the next few weeks till have 20ish fish) but also in the tank is a freshwater eel that is green with black spots/stripes on it (don't remember the name have had it for about 8 months). Also have a leopard catfish and a common pleco. I really want to get a fire eel as well because of how cool they look. My question is, is the tank big enough for 2 eels? Or maybe better question is would they fight with each other?
Yes they'll probably fight they say you should only have one spiny eel. And no your tank is not big enough for a fire eel! Holy 20 fish that seems a lot

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ssiddons50

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2013
churubusco, IN
Way over stocked even without two eels.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Yes they'll probably fight they say you should only have one spiny eel. And no your tank is not big enough for a fire eel! Holy 20 fish that seems a lot

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
He stated that he currently has 7 cichlids and is planning on getting up to twenty in the next few weeks... I would hope he is planning on getting a bigger tank in the near future anyways and if he is I feel like he could get a fire eel because their growth rate is much slower than cichlids in the first place... he would have to expand because of the cichlids way before he would have to expand for the fire eel..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
20 small africans in a 75g isn't crazy, is it? I mean I could be wrong here but I'm pretty sure you intentionally overstock those.

As for the eels, though, do not get a fire eel. As the others said, it will outgrow.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ Yes, but then what happens when said fire eel reaches 3'+ Then that little 75G isn't going to last too long...

And honestly, Fire Eels can grow pretty quickly if fed a good diet and given good water... i've read of keepers getting theres up to over 2.5' in less than 2 years...

Adamson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
Switzerland
^ Yes, but then what happens when said fire eel reaches 3'+ Then that little 75G isn't going to last too long...

And honestly, Fire Eels can grow pretty quickly if fed a good diet and given good water... i've read of keepers getting theres up to over 2.5' in less than 2 years...
If he has the fire eel even a year I'd be impressed.. Most people buy and sell so often. If the eel gets any size on him, than clearly the keeper is committed and in that case will provide a bigger tank for it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Henryng

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
singapore - yishun
I just hope the eel dont eat fishes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store