Has anyone experience of keeping two silver arowana's in the same tank?

theskibag

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2011
Galway, Ireland
Hi guys, have the opportunity to buy a second 2' aro and adding him to my 7' tank with my current 2' aro.

Reading a bit that it's a bad idea and they'll fight.

My heart says yes but my head says no because I'd hate for something to happen to my aro.

What ye think? Too risky?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
Most people will say no. Have a backup plan if you decide to get it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Matt S

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2012
Mass
The problem is you have a 2 footer now if they started small and grew together they would be fine but as big as he is now expect a blood bath when you drop the other in there because from my experience it will not go well
All my success from mixing aros was getting them small and growing them together my 2 silver, 1 jardini, and 1 black all started at around 3 to 4 inches and grew together so by the time they were 2 feet or close to 2 feet there was no issues I had a single aro in the past before all those and tried adding another with him and he destroyed the new one I had to put the other on in another tank till I could find him a good home so unless you have a couple big tanks I would pass but that's just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Unless your tank is 7x4' it isn't much space for two 2' [and growing] silvers, IMO. I think it is asking for trouble, but it does occasionally work (more often when they're raised together, and/or in very large tanks). If you try it having the ability to separate them immediately if needed is a necessity.

Mr.Manaconda

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Yeah, it's a much bigger risk introducing them at that size. When raised together from smaller sizes, they can get dominance roles established without as much damage being done. Mature fish can inflict greater damage in skirmishes. Like the others said, have a backup plan.

theskibag

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2011
Galway, Ireland
Thanks for all the advice guys. As much as I'd love to I'm going to have to pass on this.

The problem is that I wouldn't have a backup plan. My other large tank is a piranha tank so couldn't put him in there if things did go wrong.

I agree that if would have a much better chance if they grew up together or were even smaller but there prob would be holy war if I dropped another 2 footer in there.

Thanks again

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store