nitrate creep.. you guys should read this

m8r8j

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2008
Ipswich, MA
so i do religious water changes on my tanks, as i know all of you do too. and i know if your like me you dont usually test your nitrates, and when you do say a 30% water change you feel pretty good about your water quality.. but i found that over time your nitrates can "creep" up even with weekly religious water changes. im not going to go in depth with math but when you do say a 30% water change and if your tap water has 0 nitrate it effectively cuts your nitrates by ~1/3.. if your like me you have a set amount of food you feed each day, which means a set amount of waste each week, producing a set amount of weekly nitrates. say your tank accumulates 30 ppm of nitrates per week and u do a 30% weekly water change.

week 1: start 0ppm end 30ppm 30%wc puts you at 21ppm

week2: start 21ppm end 51ppm 30%wc puts you at 36ppm

week3: start 36ppm end 66ppm 30%wc puts you at 46ppm

as you can see it can slowly creep up on you even if you do large water changes up to 50% like i do. you need to go through a "reset" period doing daily water changes to get it back down. i guess the moral of the story is to use your test kits. my nitrates were at 60ppm after a 50% water change yesterday thats how i figured this out.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Wow good details, I've read something similar on here a long time ago so I do 40% WCs every other day on all of my tanks, keeps em looking nicer and the fish healthier

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
I've read about that awhile ago, which is why on my large tank I use pothos and normally perform 2 wc's a week.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
^ exactly, especially if you're growing out a bunch of fish, or adding new stock.

Accident

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2007
South Texas
good to know. My hats off to you guys for your dedication. I would have quit keeping tanks years ago if I had to change water. I only set up tanks with continuous drip systems now. Flooded my carpet too many times with siphons.

houie925

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2008
Manteca, California
There's an eventual maximum if the bio load and WC schedule are constant. In the example you mentioned the eventual max would be 100ppm dropping to 70ppm after WC. Obviously basic math is no replacement for at least occasional testing but on an established tank once one figures out the appropriate WC schedule for their needs the frequency of testing could be reduced for many keepers.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
This is relative to an extent but remember that dirty filters, dirty substrate and or decaying food/fish under decor for example can begin to Leach nitrates. Don't clean your filters for awhile and it will raise nitrates more significantly over time. These are a few examples

But if you keep up on maintenance then theoretically a 50% wc will come close to reducing 50% of the total nitrates!

Click the link in my sig for pothos power!

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title and 9 wins back to back in 1 season (record!) See you next year in Australia boys!×

Cheap way to decrease nitrates and keep your fish healthy: http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504763

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada

m8r8j

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2008
Ipswich, MA
There's an eventual maximum if the bio load and WC schedule are constant. In the example you mentioned the eventual max would be 100ppm dropping to 70ppm after WC. Obviously basic math is no replacement for at least occasional testing but on an established tank once one figures out the appropriate WC schedule for their needs the frequency of testing could be reduced for many keepers.

exactly. i didnt wanna bother going that far in depth but the higher the weekly percentage changed, the lower the eventual max ppm would be.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store