How Long Will My Driftwood Float?

pelleeklund

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Just managed to salvage a nice piece of driftwood from a fallen tree I caught sight of on a walk with my kids. It was a dried out massive stump but I managed to get it home and now it's been chainsawed down, cleaned, and cut into two pieces that fit together so I could squeeze it into the tank. My only problem is that I couldn't pre-soak it in anything besides the tank due to its size so obviously it's been floating in there. I did drill holes in some slate pieces and screwed them to the lower end of the wood to help pull it down but they weren't substantially weighted or anything. I'm curious how long people think it will take to waterlog and drop down. I've never done this to such a large piece of wood before so I have no real idea how many weeks or months it might take. Here is some pictures of the original stump and the remaining stump in the tank, maybe it will help to estimate. (Crap, I have to change my privacy settings, pics to follow shortly.)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
would take months... IME you should boil that. But I don't know how will you boil that. haha,

Daonni

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
nh
Lol that looks big! But very nice. In all honesty I would get some sort of large container or a pool and let it soak over the winter. It will take a while. Also the boiling thing is important, you have no idea what is on that thing, GL.

Sent from my LG-L38C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
it can float for years. I have wood that came out of a lake bed, and I have no idea how it got there because after a year in the tank they were still floating.
you can try weighing it down with large stones, I have 20 and 30 lb rocks holding down pieces in my 245G.
I've never boiled any of my wood, and never had a problem.

pelleeklund

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Hilarious. I had a feeling it would take some time. It doesn't bother me floating like it is in the meantime. It's been cool to watch the fish use the new spaces it made. I'm just looking forward to it getting low enough it doesn't press against the dividers on top. Patience I guess.

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
The driftwood in my tank still has air coming out of it. 2 years after putting it in. I got sick of trying to waterlog it after 3 months and attached it to granite and covered the granite with gravel. Got it from a guy in tennessee....thedrifwoodstore.com IIRC and he dehydrates the wood. This one was that dry that it's still burping air. This went into my tank with the granite in june 2011 and was held under water by weights for 3 months prior.

wvsumg.jpg

wvsumg.jpg

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Depends on the type of wood it is and how dense it is. Mine toke a week or two the branches toile about a month cause they are harder wood.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Heyguy74

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Jackson, NJ
I just put this piece of oak in a tank I am setting up. It's been in for 3 days. It has already sunk. It's about 4 ft long.

DSC06369_zps74c41c7f.jpg

Melbell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2013
Hawaii
Awesome pieces guys. Wish there were more hard wood trees here in hawaii. The only woods I have access to are mopani, african horn wood, rose wood, and malaysian. All of which sink fairly quickly but leech tannins like crazy. Ugh.
Not to mention most are around 18 $ a pound...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store