The best sand available that won"t cause havac with your canister filters?

condejesuit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2011
Canada
I'm trying to find out what is the best sand out there for my rays but that won't get sucked up by my filters. I've searched the forum quite a bit and found inconclusive information. several members suggest Tahitian black sand but when I read about it seems pretty small. Any comments or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Dre

condejesuit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2011
Canada
Thanks guys. I used CaribSea- Super Naturals moonlight sand and my FX5 always sucked in the stuff. Is PFS really that heavier than the moonlight? Has anyone had any experience with the Tahitian moon sand from CaribSea? How about the peace river substrate from CaribSea? Is it too sharp? Any people use this substrate? Thanks in advance everyone.

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Garnet works for me. Depends on your placement of intakes how deep your sand bed is and how much your fish kick up substrate.

Posted with a Samsung Galaxy Note 3

mscamp02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Mt. Sterling KY
I've used both play sand and pool filter sand for my rays. The play sand was always kicked up into the filter and would cloud the tank from to much activity. The pfs after the first initial wash is heavy enough so that even after one of the rays stirs the sand it instantly falls back down.

I have two fx5s, a 2062 and two cfs500s on the tank right now. No issues with any design.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
After ensuring the sand you're looking to use is not toxic (and really, I can't think of a lot of instances where they would be)...
You do not need to worry about the label on the bag, you need to worry about the sand grain size.

Example of grading in brand I prefer:

Most people don't seem to grasp this, so you'll get all sorts of answers. Unless the sand is specifically graded on the bag, it will vary from brand to brand (pool filter sand is not universally the same!) or even bag to bag within brands. After that it's a matter of color preference, availability, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
For get all the play sand or pool sand or anything else.

This guy asked for the best and honestly the best is Carib Sea Torpedo Beach

Its a much larger grain and will not get sucked into filters. Also it does not stick to rays so you get to enjoy them as much as possible. I highly recommend it and would never use anything else. If you have looked at ray pictures im sure you have seen them with sand stuck to them and how none attractive it looks. uploadfromtaptalk1386335350787.jpguploadfromtaptalk1386335492184.jpg

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store