Breeding live food for your stingrays

condejesuit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2011
Canada
Does anyone breed their own live food for their stingrays. I like the idea as you can ensure the live food is healthy and clean. Most pet shops have questionable supplies and even poorer husbandry skills. Several years ago I tried breeding ghost shrimp but to no avail. I'm looking at breeding red crystal shrimp, yabbies, crayfish or guppies. Anyone out there had any experience or success with this. Does anyone see any downside or pitfalls to watch out for.

Vincent Tran

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
SoCal
If you are looking to breed shrimp, neocaridinia such as cherry red shrimp are much more prolific breeders and much easier to keep than crystal red shrimp. These shrimp are small and relatively slow growing though so I am not sure if they would satisfy the needs of your stingrays...

wrslrcichlid

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Battle Creek, MI
I used to have a guppy tank (my wife thought they were cute). It was a 29g tank and we started with just 5 guppies. Without even trying to separate babies (to keep them from getting eaten), we had well over 50 fish of varying sizes within a month.

It takes about a month for a female to have fry, so if you have multiple females when you start you will likely have new fry just about every week. I don't know how many guppies you would need, but if not kept in check guppies can rapidly overpopulate a tank.

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
No way will you be able to breed enough of anything to fill the stomach of a stingray. Might be good for a small appetizer but that's about it. Maybe a worm farm or something like that would do you better.

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
You could try the self cloning crayfish. they are very prolific! Make sure they are legal to own in your state

Sent from my C6606 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store