new to plants, a few questions

cephalofoil

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2013
landlocked.
Hey everyone
I’m new to plants and was wondering about the following plants:
Jungle val (Vallisneria americana gigantea)
Stargrass (Heteranthera zosterifolia)
Dwarf sag (Sagittaria subulata)
Amazon sword (Echinodorus bleheri)
Java fern (Microsorum pteropus)

1) do they get nutrients from water column or substrate?
2) I have an Aquaclear 110 and a 170 GPH powerhead on my 20 gallon, is that too much flow for them to handle??
3) is a 12 hour photoperiod sufficient?

i’m not sure of the wattage or details of my light, all i know is that its a 10 year old, 24” fluorescent tube. It came with the tank set up from the store. I can try to figure it out though.

I wanted some opinions on this before i commit 100% and buy them, I'd hate to kill any plants.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
That is a lot of flow for a 20 gallon tank. Not sure if plants would do well with all that current. Most plants take up nutrients through their root system. The plants listed are easy to grow. The amazon sword is a heavy root feeder. 12 hour photo period should be fine for the plants. If you develop an algae problem, cut down on the hours of light.

Cookie*

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2010
Northern NJ
mocoloco.com
I'm not real experienced in plants but have 3 types of plants in a tank now (duckweed, java moss, Brazilian pennywort), all different from the plants you've chosen as mine are floating plants. However, there's some crossover knowledge I learned that can benefit you. I'm pretty sure all or most the plants you listed are substrate feeders. You'll likely need some type of ferts in the soil if I'm not mistaken. Depending on how much iron is in your water, you would likely have to add iron to the water as well. My plants did ok for 2-3 days and then started to yellow around the edges. I got an iron supplement/additive and revived them (only to burn them some by adding too much). The plants I'm growing, they are growing very well and I have the lights on no longer than 8 hours. I just have to get the iron measured better, it's hard to measure using a cap for the bottle like suggested, and getting exact dosage right. I also did have jungle vals in another tank about a year ago. They did ok, but the lighting wasn't enough and I needed iron additives for that too, but they died anyhow. Lighting, you're gonna want something within a certain wavelength/spectrum for it do anything for the plants. I believe something 6500k is the standard/average for a low to medium lighted tank....I'm sure someone with better understanding of lighting will chime in and help there.

I think you'll definitely need a better light to start, along with some plant food/ferts. I hope this helps some.

cephalofoil

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2013
landlocked.
I have the AC 100 on its lowest output setting and the powerhead is pushing water lengthwise across the tank. I have a juvi serrsalmus spilopleura in it and there are several dead spots.

So nutritious substrate and better lighting. I'll keep a look out for pricing on 6500k lighting. If it ends up being a lot of flow I'll just end up planting when I upgrade to a 50

Would floating plants like hornwort get too beaten up with my flowrate? I wanna at least have some cover for my fish

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Vallisneria americana and java fern can handle a substantial flow.
Java fern is often found adjacent to waterfalls in nature.
I keep both in 50 gal tanks with a pumpage of over 500gph.
As you can see some of the leaves are bending left from flow.

There is also some small java fern in the middle.
The java fern has the ability to take nutrients from the water column, and the rhizome should not be buried, Val wants to be rooted, but will hang suspended and survive.
My Barumbi mbo tank (below) gets sun from a southern exposure window, and even though the Val is mowed by the Tilapine occupants, it grows faster than they can eat it.
I occasionally add liquid mineral fertilizer.

cephalofoil

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2013
landlocked.
That's the look I'm going for with the val. Do your fish ever swim between the leaves? What's your lighting like?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007

In the tank directly above there are a couple old Reef Sun bulbs that I get as hand me downs when they lose too much power to keep corals alive. That and the sunlight really help growth.

In the 2 top pics in my previous post, there are at least 15 fish in the tank, sometimes totally obscured by the val, which is fine with me, feels natural.
In that tank I have a shop light with 2 x 40 watt grow lights.

I pull wads of hair algae, and net fulls of duckweed almost daily from the above tank.

cephalofoil

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2013
landlocked.
okay! i took pictures of my lighting situation, and with some preliminary googling I realized this is crap and may not work at all for these plants. what would your recommendations be? entirely new canopy?

my almost 10 year old fluorescent tube. 17.5" (18" including the prong things on each end)
IMG_20131207_234337.JPG

well i have no idea how to rotate the next pictures but it says:
"FH-20F-DX
24" Fluorescent Aquarium Reflector
120 Volt 60 Hz 15 watts"
- does this mean the canopy can only handle the above specs?
IMG_20131207_233439.jpg

IMG_20131207_233439.jpg

IMG_20131207_234337.JPG

IMG_20131207_233439.jpg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Val is a very forgiving plant, to me the shop light fixture from the hardware store, has worked almost as well as the aquarium light with reef sun bulbs.
I have only 2 bulbs over each tank, and don't think the canopy itself matters, as long as it focuses the light into the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store