rays + geos

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
ive never been a fan of the idea of geos before but i saw some in a shop today and i really liked how they behaved.

ive heard they do well with rays and wondered which are the brightest/most colorful or recomended for a ray tank ?

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Altifrons or other large breed geos are best.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

swedeboy78

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2011
My crib
I have an Altifron and 3 Abalios that do great with my rays. I'd recommend the Altifrons as well as they get larger.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
I had 7 Abalios in ray setup and only have one left, all ray kills. He is the only survivor and I don't believe he will get caught. Only the strong and wise survive.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
thanks guys.

has anyone had any experience with geophagus brasiliensis ?
Had a beautiful Red Bahia Brisiliensis for several years. They get larger and more stout, quite a bit more aggressive than typical Geos. Been talk for quite a while of them being reclassified out of the Geo classification, but never happened. I was always a little hesitant to add them with my rays.
I have seen people with much more aggressive cichlids so I don't see why you couldn't keep them or one with large rays.

Here is a pic.

BrasiliensisRedBahia--12-15-10--(1).JPG

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
Lost all my geos to rays eating them.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

george09

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
peterborough on
im gona have to agree...tried this myself with 3 damion geo ended up loosing 1 to ray chomping and severe dmg to anouther. at which point i re located the two left as the rays were to chompy for them sadley :(

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
Had a beautiful Red Bahia Brisiliensis for several years. They get larger and more stout, quite a bit more aggressive than typical Geos. Been talk for quite a while of them being reclassified out of the Geo classification, but never happened. I was always a little hesitant to add them with my rays.
I have seen people with much more aggressive cichlids so I don't see why you couldn't keep them or one with large rays.

Here is a pic.
thats a lovely fish but it was the behavior that interested me. it sounds like the more placid geo's get picked off so was wondering if the slightly more dominant (geophagus brasiliensis) type might stand a better chance whilst not causing a problem to the rays.

think i might have to try locate a few of this type of geo to grow on and see for myself :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store