Best choice for a small predator fish in a 220 gallon stingray tank?

condejesuit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2011
Canada
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or suggestions on a small predator fish? I need a small/smallish predator fish that could help with clean up duty and keep live foods like minnows or guppies from seeking safety in the top section of the aquarium. An Oscar or arrowana grow way too big for my setup. I have four rays in this grow out tank, with an average disc size of about 3 inches. Any ideas aould be appreciated.

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
guppys will likely be a meal as the rays hunt in midlevel/top waters. once the fish gets enclosed by the disk, they'll be sucked in the mouth.

try medium size blackbar redhooks or a blackberry redhook. they swim fast enough not to be caught on the disk. They look cool also swimming in school.

condejesuit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2011
Canada
Not sure I like the look of the redhook. How about a green terror or two? Would red shoulder severums work also? Any thoughts on these choices?

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Severums would work great. Gts are a bit more on the aggresive side but you might have succes with them.

Freshwater Monster

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
I have severums with my rays. They work great, no problems at all with the rays.
Another option could be datnoids. They are very slow growers that also go well with rays.

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
^I will be upgrading to a 220 as well, I currently have like 10 orange head geo growing out for the tank. When they get big they look great. Google orange head goes for images..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store