Fin Rot treatment without medication??

DustinGerard

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2013
Louisiana
I have a fish I believe has fin rot! His pectoral fins got ripped up by a fish that ive gotten rid of months ago. His fins stayed pretty torn up and now It appears to be the beginning of fin rot where the ends have a bit of milky white buildup on the ends. I do not have a hosptial tank so i prefer not to treat the whole tank with medication unless i need to. Will this heal on its own if i keep the water clean?

The affected fish is a Golden Severum in a 55 gallon. I do weekly water changes at 10%-15%. My water parameters are:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
pH: 8.0

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Try treating with Api Triple sulfa. Up your water changes to about 25-30%. Do a 50% water cahange before starting treatment.

DustinGerard

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2013
Louisiana
As of tonight i will be on my final dose of API triple sulfa and i don't feel like the milky edges have gone away. Is it possible that it is not fin rot? From what I am observing, the fins are ragged (from his fight which was months ago) and the edges are slightly thicker than the rest of his fin. Is that maybe just the fin growing back? I've heard the fin usually doesnt grow back perfectly. Most pictures I see of fin rot show brown fins and its been awhile that hes had this, so to me they should be brown if the disease was progressing.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
A good picture might be helpful.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Not the best picture but it looks more like it's from aggresion than fin rot.

MattyA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2013
Australia
Salt is your friend! 1 tablespoon to 20l of water and it will heal up within a week. It will also help stop other bacterial problems associated with the injuries. I've had some fish that were barely live from being belted that bad and within 3 or 4 days they were looking awesome.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store