Thoughts on Hardscape

crypticmonk

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2013
United States
So I hear a lot of people say things like, "Why would you pay $__ for rocks/wood?" I used to think the same thing. I'd see aquarium wood for like $50 and think. "Who in their right mind would pay that much for a piece of wood?" While it's debatable how much aquascaping wood/stone should cost, I'd like to offer some thoughts I've recently had on the subject.

So I have a 55 gallon planted tank that has been kind of a nightmare. I've ended up paying way more than I intended through fertilizers, Co2, substrate, lighting, and just the plants themselves. While having a planted tank is super cool (most of my aquariums are planted), the cost of maintenance can be pretty high over a long period of time.

Let's use my tank (55 gallon) as an example. If you were going to do the barebones minimum for plants, you can expect to pay no less than $30 for the plants, maybe $20 for substrate, and $20 for lighting. You are then going to pay AT LEAST $25 per year for maintenance (Co2, fertilizer, lighting replacement, etc.). So over a 5-year period you are paying like $200 just for the plants. Again, this is for super low-tech (i.e. vals, java fern, etc.).

Now you can have a really nice hardscape for like $50-100 (you can go cheaper than that, but this is if your using stuff specifically for aquascaping). This is pretty much a one-time purchase, and you don't need to worry about plants dying on you or whatever.

Again, I'm not saying that plants are a bad idea. If you have the time and the money, you should definitely go for it (it's still way cheaper than having something like a reef aquarium). However, I'd like to see more done with hardscapes, especially in large aquariums. It may seem stupid to pay for rocks and wood, but I think it is worth the money. If you're on a budget, but want a decent, natural looking aquarium, I think that's the way to go.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
I 100% agree. I've spent lots of money on wood and rocks over the years. Several pieces of wood are still close to upstaging the fish and they are 20+ years old.

I have a bit of an addiction for hard scape lol. I can't get enough.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I personally enjoy scaping almost as much as the fish themselves.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
I'll also add, in my personal experience, the fish act completely differently in a bare tank. Most of the species I keep seem to be more comfortable with some scape.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rgonzales

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2009
where i dont wanna be
I keep my tank bare because it's easier to keep clean and maximizes floor space for my rays

Sent from my SPH-L720 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

crypticmonk

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2013
United States
I keep my tank bare because it's easier to keep clean and maximizes floor space for my rays

Sent from my SPH-L720 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
It is easier to keep clean, but...as JC1119 said, I think fish (and any animals) do MUCH better in a more natural setting that is representative of their native habitat. Epecially when you get into stuff like breeding, every little aspect can make a huge difference (like using live plants vs. fake plants, catappa leaves, etc.). You don't need to have anything complex, but yeah, I think it's worth it to do a bit of aquascaping. I mean would YOU like to spend the rest of your life in a bare and empty cage? :)

There is a balance though. With larger fish especially, it can be very difficult to keep up with maintenance in a complex and dense layout.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
.....and if you're keeping rays, floorspace goes along ways, so I can see it being an issue for some. That being said, my ornatum grow out splits the difference. It's scaped with a ton of fake plants at the waters surface and a ton of 3 and 4" pvc fittings scattered everywhere. no substrate.... Very easy to keep clean and the pvc and plants offer cover, so the fish are always out.

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
What's funny is that, most super serious planted tanks have wayyyyyyy expensive hardscapes in them. Like, hundreds of dollars expensive, looking for specific types of stones and going through all sorts of weird hoops just to get them.

Personally, I want to see more tanks that are hardscaped the way planted tank people hardscape...just without the plants. You can still totally aquascape without plants, and I haven't seen enough of that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store