My cichlid tank is super dirty!

Macenzi

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2013
Statesboro
I've had it heavier stocked than it currently is, but now it's randomly become filthy with a smell, feces everywhere, I have not changed my filter pads for a while, is that the reason? Or is it something else. I changed them today of course +40% wc.

90 gallon
12 spotted gar
8" red devil
5" oscar
4.5" pacu
3x 3" jewel
5.5" blood parrot
2" convict
5" red tail shark
2x 10" pleco

As I said I've had tank more stocked than this so I don't know what's up.
Plecos and gar are being rehomed soon and pacu when it's larger.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
If your feeding NLS could be that. I've noticed that since I started feeding it my cichlid poop more frequently and larger sizes

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

trace

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2009
Hamer Idaho
If your feeding NLS could be that. I've noticed that since I started feeding it my cichlid poop more frequently and larger sizes

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
This is due likely to either feeding too large a pellet or over feeding. It is incredibly nutrient dense so your fish need to eat far less than with other foods( which most people still over feed). In your case if the only mess you really are seeing is extra feces than it's likely over feeding. Don't feel bad it's easy to do. If your filter pads are a red color that's another likely sign of either overfeed in got feeding too large a pellet.
As for the op that tank is very heavily stocked even after said fish are removed. That isn't a huge amount if water volume. You will be happier with a lighter stock as will your fish.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
It's not always how many fish, but species of fish makes a difference, some are a lot messier than others-- one possibility. Food can make a difference (obviously overfeeding can be a factor), but as soon as you mention specific brands of food you start a debate that imo doesn't really answer your question in this instance.

Dirty filter can make a difference (also dirty substrate, etc.), certainly to overall water quality, and theoretically to how fast solid waste is broken down-- and therefore how much is visible. Has to do with redox, little complicated to explain, but basically it's an aspect of water chemistry that can affect how quickly solid wastes break down into smaller components.

But the first thing that I see right now is not just how many fish but types of fish in your tank. Oscars are messy, large plecos are messy, etc.

Halfduzndad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2012
Virginia
If you are using an under gravel filter, try removing a couple caps, or lift tubes at each plate. Then stick a hose in each hole and siphon out some of the debris. It may just be too much mulm under the plates and the debris is being pushed back into the tank. Also, I agree with the others it is way overstocked.

Macenzi

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2013
Statesboro
I run two hang on the back filters, ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10ppm.

I know it's overstocked but I found a couple fish that I wanted to keep for life, so I got them and now I just need to re home others. But I usually keep slightly overstocked tanks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

spool212

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2007
nc
I say get bigger better filters mybe 2 aquaclear and a powerhead to keep water movement for the filters to catch cut down on feeding that's what I would do

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Sounds like you've been slacking off on vacuuming the gravel...Although you didn't mention what kinds of hang on filters you have it does not sound as if they will be able to handle that bio load so you should look into a wet/dry sump system to ad to or replace one of them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store