New to fertilising with dry salts (or just fertilising with anything decent really...

hanwyz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2013
United Kingdom
Hi
I've just invested in some dry salts, potassium nitrate and potassium phosphate to be precise. Currently in my tank I dose liquid carbon and Neutro-T (trace elements) daily (following the instructions...) It is a medium light (I think) tank, about 160L, just got a snakehead in there.
So questions:
How much do I need to dose of the potassium phosphate? I have no clue how much phosphate I need in my tank
Will dosing nitrates shift my bga problem?
Can I dose trace elements and macro elements on the same day, if I dose them a few hours apart?

I've tried reading around and it's hurting my brain :-/ so figured I would ask for help before failing to dose correctly...

Nitrates in my tank usually 0-5
Phosphates were around 0-1 last time I had them checked

Was thinking of making a 250ml mix containing 6 teaspoons potassium nitrate and 1.5 teaspoons potassium phosphate, then dosing 10ml 3 times a week, does this sound about right? *Brain exploding*

Was so much easier when I didn't think plants needed fertilising... but guess that's why I killed java moss....

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
The problem with dosing, is that unless you are doing something like EI or PPS-Pro, there is no exact science...or rather, there is an exact science but it is so exact that it goes down to each individual tank and gets way to complicated for 90% of people to explain.

What I'd do, if I were you, is look into EI dosing, but do half of what is recommended for your size tank, since you are not high light or co2 injected.

hanwyz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2013
United Kingdom
Ok thanks :) I'll give that a go then see how my tank is doing in a few weeks.... much more complicated than throwing in some "leaf zone" and hoping....

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store