75g Stocking Suggestions

Ninjouzata

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
Georgia, USA
My apologies if this isn't the right section! I wasn't sure if it should go here or in set-up.

I feel sort of bad putting this up actually, as it's an imaginary tank. Sort of.
I'm asking for this for my Christmas present, and very excited so I'd really love to start figuring out the stocking if I do get it.

Even if I don't get it for Christmas, this will still definitely be a future tank plan, so any information given to me is not going to waste!

I imagine it'd be a standard 75g, which If I'm not mistaken, is 48x18x20 LxWxH, right? I just want to make sure as I know usually it's the dimensions that matter, not just the volume of water.

I already have an idea of the fish that I want, but I'm not sure if they can all go together, or if they are even suitable for this size tank.

Brown Ghost Knife (Apteronotus Leptorhynchus)
Armored Bichir (Polypterus Delhezi)
Leopard Bushfish (Ctenopoma acutirostre)
African Butterfly Fish (Pantodon buchholzi)

If a different bichir would work, like the senegal, that'd be fine too..but I imagine it gets too big for this size tank? The only reason I say that one is it's cheaper, from what I've seen.

I'd also be happy if an Angelfish could work with them, but from reading around it sounds like that is a no. Or maybe I'd need to get a bigger angel, after reading a thread where a bichir bit a small ones dorsal fin?

Imagine I'd just want 1 of the knife & bichir, but what about the ctenopama and butterfly? Do those like to be alone or in small groups?
What are some good schooling fish to go with these guys, if any? Have read of some bichirs downing rainbowfish, which is what I thought I'd need to go with since those are of decent size.

Would also appreciate suggestions on filter(s) for this, as they're larger fish (for me anyway) and so make a large mess.

I'd also love to hear about anyones experiences with these fish, as well as food recommendations. What type of food, how much, how often, etc. :)

And lastly..I'd like to know what you all think of if I'm ready to care for these sorts of fish.
Here is my intro thread that lets you know a little more about what I've had, and how long (short, actually) I've been in the hobby. http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?563723-Hello

Thank you very much for any responses, I look forward to reading them! :redface:

Ninjouzata

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
Georgia, USA
Oh! So sorry for double-posting (unless this merges with my first post?) but I forgot a fish I wanted, oops ^^'
I'd also like to know if a raphael catfish would work! :)

Ninjouzata

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
Georgia, USA
Sorry for triple post but hey, no responses yet and I have more questions! :)

I'm also wondering, along with if these fish would even be okay with each other, what about their environmental needs?
It seems that the knife would want a lot of flow, while the ctenopoma, butterfly, and raphael prefer little flow. I can't find what sort of flow the bichir would like, but imagine it also prefers little flow as well.

Perhaps I could achieve this with a moderate flow, and one side of the tank have lots of floating plants to create a more still spot? Or is this something I even need to worry about? I want what is best for these amazing fish.

Am I right in thinking I should definitely have sand? Also read somewhere else that rainbowfish are too boisterous to keep with the ctenopoma. So now totally lost on what sort of schooling fish I should have, if any.

Thank you again, for any responses. I really do look forward to reading them! I check this like every 30 mins. :p

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
I haven't kept any of the species you listed but hopefully I can help a bit as it seems like you've done your homework, which is great!

I think all of the species you listed are pretty compatible, however I feel the P. delhezi may eventually get a bit big for a 75gal. I think your proposed setup sounds good as well, with moderate flow, sand substrate, and floating plants. For filtration, I'd go with a canister filter and perhaps even a second form of filtration such as an AC70 or 110. I always like to have two filters as you can alternate cleaning them without too much disruption of the bio colony. It's also always nice to know you have a backup if one stopped working for some reason.

As for a schooling fish, a school of Congo Tetras could work for a while however I see the delhezi and perhaps even the butterfly going after them eventually.

Here's a few profiles for some of the species you're interested in..

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/ctenopoma-acutirostre/

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/polypterus-delhezi/

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/pantodon-buchholzi/

Good luck!

Ninjouzata

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
Georgia, USA
I haven't kept any of the species you listed but hopefully I can help a bit as it seems like you've done your homework, which is great!

I think all of the species you listed are pretty compatible, however I feel the P. delhezi may eventually get a bit big for a 75gal. I think your proposed setup sounds good as well, with moderate flow, sand substrate, and floating plants. For filtration, I'd go with a canister filter and perhaps even a second form of filtration such as an AC70 or 110. I always like to have two filters as you can alternate cleaning them without too much disruption of the bio colony. It's also always nice to know you have a backup if one stopped working for some reason.

As for a schooling fish, a school of Congo Tetras could work for a while however I see the delhezi and perhaps even the butterfly going after them eventually.

Here's a few profiles for some of the species you're interested in..

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/ctenopoma-acutirostre/

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/polypterus-delhezi/

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/pantodon-buchholzi/

Good luck!
Thank you so much for responding! I was losing hope.. :p Not that most patient person when I'm excited over fish.
I have read those profiles.

I was thinking the delhezi is probably a bit big too, is there a smaller bichir that would work? Or any thoughts on how long it'd take for it to get too big?
I don't have much wiggle room as I still live with my parents, but depending on how long it took..maybe I could squeeze in a bigger tank.
I'd rather not get it and be having to upgrade though, that's not fair for the bichir if I end up not being able to.

Congo tetras are gorgeous and I did see that they are recommended with these fish..I was just concerned about the bichir eating those. I don't think the butterfly could eat them if they're full grown but you may well be right!
Also their little teeth scare me..they wouldn't hurt the knife, would they? The knife is the most important thing here for me as it's the closest I can get to my dream fish, the black ghost knife.

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
You could look into replacing the P. delhezi with a P. senegalus. They stay smaller (albinos even more so) and are actually a bit less predatory I believe, although still may go for smaller fish. If you were to go with Congos, I don't see them bothering your Knife..

Ninjouzata

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
Georgia, USA
You could look into replacing the P. delhezi with a P. senegalus. They stay smaller (albinos even more so) and are actually a bit less predatory I believe, although still may go for smaller fish. If you were to go with Congos, I don't see them bothering your Knife..
Are you sure? I'm not trying to contradict what you're saying at all.
I know seriouslyfish isn't right about everything, but it shows Sengelas as reaching 20", and shows Delhezi as reaching 14", although I've found on other places that the del reaches 17"..

This is the exact reason I've come here as when searching around there seems to be lots of conflicting information between sites. :(

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
Yeah, I saw that as well. Most people report their Senegals only getting about 8-10in though, with 12in being huge.

Nim Dibbley

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2010
CA
Most Senegal and Delhezi bichirs are captive bred and don't typically grow to the size of their wild caught counterparts. I had a delhezi for about 3 years before i traded him for another bichir and he only grew about 2 inches in that time (from 6 to about 8 inches.) If your tank is 18 inches wide I think either one of those species would work as they are not likely to grow more then 12 inches and that may take years.

Other bichir species grow bigger and faster, but are typically more expensive since they are less well bred in captivity.

I have not kept the other fish you are asking about, but i do keep a black ghost knife with my bichirs and they work fine together so i would assume the brown knife would be ok as well.

Bichirs work well with most other fish as long as the other fish is too big to get eaten by them and not big enough it can eat your bichirs. The other main consideration with bichirs is that they are bottom feeders and they react to smell more then sight when it comes to food. Whatever you keep them with, you need to make sure the other fish will not out-compete them for food.

I feed my bichirs Hikari sinking carnivore pellets as a staple. They get treats of earthworms, black worms, ghost shrimp or tilapia on occasion. Black worms are their favorite and fun to watch them slurp up like speghetti. When i feed them sinking pellets i have to throw in some floating pellets to distract my gourami i keep with them or he would eat ALL of their food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store