Finnex Monster Ray Vs. Current Sattelite plus

awdawg

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Hey guys thread says it all. Thinking about getting one (48") for Christmas and possibly buying the other anyways for another tank.

Anyone have both and if so what do you prefer? I hear the Finnex brings out the fish color better?

pros / cons?

Is one heads and tails better than the other etc?

Thanks all!

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I have a satellite+ and know nothing about the ray. That being said the satellite plus allows you to customize the amount of each color let being used so I'm not sure how another fixture can make the fish look better. One maybe brighter/more powerful but I haven't look into it.

mopani

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
Earth
Satellites are good and cool with there customizations. Monster rays are sic and make your fish glow, I actually run monster ray and a satellite on one tank and it is sweet but all my others fixtures will be monsters. My other monster is on my 180 goldfish and I can't describe the color enhance of them. Somewhat downside is monster doesn't have moonlights

In all honesty I am surprised finnex doesn't have. Major foloowing yet

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Satellites are good and cool with there customizations. Monster rays are sic and make your fish glow, I actually run monster ray and a satellite on one tank and it is sweet but all my others fixtures will be monsters. My other monster is on my 180 goldfish and I can't describe the color enhance of them. Somewhat downside is monster doesn't have moonlights

In all honesty I am surprised finnex doesn't have. Major foloowing yet

The filter nnex has a huge following on reddit, any idea why you can't tune the satellite to match the ray?

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
I have neither, but have read reviews on both as I have been looking to replace my Beamswork. From what I have read and seen, I still like the Satellite+...

If you want a more natural looking light (as well as customizable), I'd go with the Current Satellite+. If you want your fish to look radio active, get the Finnex Monster.

mopani

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
Earth
I have neither, but have read reviews on both as I have been looking to replace my Beamswork. From what I have read and seen, I still like the Satellite+...

If you want a more natural looking light (as well as customizable), I'd go with the Current Satellite+. If you want your fish to look radio active, get the Finnex Monster.
Exactly, It is killer for me fine tune the satellite and plug the ray in, the guppies and tetras really flash with them. I can't explain my goldfish though, like acid trip

awdawg

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Not to bring back an old thread, however just in case anyone is looking into these LED's I have since gotten both of them. The Finnex is definitely the brighter of the two. I have it on a 55 gallon african tank and it makes the colors look phenomenal. It doesn't however have any night lighting. I just put the 48" satellite led plus on a 75 gallon and the little remote is fun. You can set the brightness etc. I am sure I will have fun custom setting some dim and bright settings. It doesn't look like it will make the colors pop quite as much however still a very nice light.

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
Not to bring back an old thread, however just in case anyone is looking into these LED's I have since gotten both of them. The Finnex is definitely the brighter of the two. I have it on a 55 gallon african tank and it makes the colors look phenomenal. It doesn't however have any night lighting. I just put the 48" satellite led plus on a 75 gallon and the little remote is fun. You can set the brightness etc. I am sure I will have fun custom setting some dim and bright settings. It doesn't look like it will make the colors pop quite as much however still a very nice light.
Nice of you to post an opinion on both lights.

I too love the remote and customization features of Current Sats..... As it is my personal preference to be more on the 'dim' side, no issues with the brightness.

If I have a planted tank, believe Finnex will be the choice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store