Tips on Buying a Used Chiller?

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Hey Everyone,

Im still with the dark side...freshwater however my cousin is still doing salt which is great. We have came across the Artica Chiller - DBM-250 1/3HP - being sold for $300. We went to look at it as well since we went to check out the stand and canopy I will be buying. My cousin would like it for his 65 gallon tank but apparently maybe upgrading to a 120 soon so wants to make sure it will be good for the upgrade as well as most importantly quite.

Any ideas so he feels comfortable in purchasing it apparently it retails for $900. Also its currently not connected to the sellers tank

jaybayless

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
Indiana
I have that brand in the 1/4 hp size. It works really really well. It keeps my tank at 62 (my tanks bigger than 120) and only turns on for a few minutes every other hour or so less now that its winter. That 1/3 HP chiller would work fine for a 120 or larger. You'll be able to keep temps anywhere down to the 50s if you even wanted.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jaybayless

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
Indiana
It is a really quiet chiller as well. Definitely want to flush the chiller forwards and then backwards for a solid day with some vinegar water to make sure the inner lines are clear. Clean all dust off the outside vents as well.

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Ok thanks for the info also just trying to figure out if there is a solid way to make sure the chiller will work when he takes it home and attempts to use it. Any solid indicators of knowing a used chiller works efficiently? By used I mean it's just sitting on the floor at the sellers house my cousin wants to make sure b4 buying it that it will work

jaybayless

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
Indiana
For articas all you have to do is plug it in and have water circulating to see if its working well or not. It should kick the compressor on a few mins after setting the chill to temp and that's it!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store