IT being a menace to society

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Of my tank lol it went nuts after i rearranged things (usually do it once every couple weeks).. he flys after my Orino pbass and balzani geo, and just doesnt let up. He wasnt nipping, just chasing but not the fins of my O are starting to look torn so hes nipping now.

I know there are a few threads on dat aggression but my situation is different then the others ive seen, my dat is only 4 inch and is causing all this ruckus. Even my red wolf doesnt go after him, and he normally kills things that are like this. Not even a nip on the dat.

Tank is a 70 ga long (upgrading in spring to at least 200 gallons, already gathering supplies) tank mates are

-leopard ctenopoma (who the IT ignores now but used to beat up on)
-Balzani gymno
-Red wolf fish
-Ornate Bichir
-palmas polli bichir
-palmas beuttokoferri bichir
-ropefish
-Orino pbass

He leaves the ropefish and bichirs alone, and faces down my red wolf on occasion. Did not expect this little guy to pack such an attitude. Is it the consistent rescaping? Or tank size? Or just a mean dat lol? Trying to add some dithers soon, any reccomendations to keep the dats attention?

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
maybe add a couple more dats around the same size

SickSauce

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2011
Mekong Delta
its probly just reestablishing its Territory or letting everyone know whos Boss every time you rearrange. My Tiger pack has Picking order, my Meanest IT is now pushing 9" and is starting to challenge my 11" NGT for hiding spot or just Control of the tank. It a back and forth but not serious damage done. You can tell who won the battle by whos Stable and swiming freely and the Other is Unstable and hiding more. All you can do is remove Fish or Upgrade. Good Luck

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Hmm would one more be bad? I'm adding a bicuda and azul pbass soon and don't want to be insanely overstocked haha

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
Add some bass or more dats to disperse the aggression. My big dat runs the tank but the bass will fit back when he's pissed.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
alright im going to not rearrange things so much lol see if that helps at least wasnt sure if dats did claim territory and such, once the azul is on pellets and buffed up a bit hes going into the 70 so that will help. Im sure the Bicuda will help distract too. I am upgrading lol in like febuary so things will be ok till then. if its not, i have a 30 ga i can toss some aggressors in temporarily. Once he settled in this guy took over, i hope my red wolf doesnt decide hes had enough of him one day

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
By constanrly re arranging stuff.. no wonder your fish fight.. together with a small ish tank...

Tigers do not like changes to thier evironment.. choose a set up .. stick with it...
That s what I have found best.. in 9 yrs of keeping the tiger fish in groups

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Doesn't surprise me he goes after the pbass and geo balzani. Dats seem to hate cichlids whether it happens immediately or 1day with a jardini like rampage from the dat or dats in charge. They will negatively affect each others feedings. It happens viseversa too if you have larger more aggressive cichlids in with smaller dats, the dats will not eat the way should. Sometimes it works for awhile, but crap seems to hit the fan eventually. Gymnogeos need cooler water at times too, maybe not the best choice for these tankmates

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store