Help! Whats on my stingray?

thatdudeoverthere21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
A few days ago i noticed this on my stingray. One day he was colorful and bright, the next day he has this giant white gash looking thing on the side of his body, then about 2 days later another smaller gash appeared right next to the bigger one almost merging with it. What is it and how should i treat it? And does he look malnutrition? Thank you guys!
gasfadf.jpgunnamedfa.jpgfasadfa.jpg

fasadfa.jpg

gasfadf.jpg

unnamedfa.jpg

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
do you have an exposed heater in the tank?
Is there possibly a pleco in the tank?
One of the two is the problem.

he looks very healthy otherwise

thatdudeoverthere21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
do you have an exposed heater in the tank?
Is there possibly a pleco in the tank?
One of the two is the problem.

he looks very healthy otherwise
The heater is exposed. The tip is covered in that rubber thing but its a small heater at the very top of the tank. He was in a tall 37g now in a 55. No pleco in the tank. The only thing with him was angel fish. Now he is just with a spotted leaf fish.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
The heater is exposed. The tip is covered in that rubber thing but its a small heater at the very top of the tank. He was in a tall 37g now in a 55. No pleco in the tank. The only thing with him was angel fish. Now he is just with a spotted leaf fish.

it is a heater burn

Get a heater cover or make one out of pvc.

This will heal if you keep water clean, may leave a scar though

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
i agree with the others but in answer to your next question. it should heal fine if your waters good. just keep up with the water changes and keep offering good food (removing any uneaten food)

might leave a scar but should be fine.

MattyA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2013
Australia
I seen something that looked exactly like that on my peacock basses tail then around 5 mins later it was gone? It looked a bit like a piece of cling wrap plastic had got stuck on him.. there's no way it was heater burn as my heaters are in the sump. Weird to say the least aha.

thatdudeoverthere21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
I thought it was heater burn. Ill get a cover or do something about it so it doesnt happen again.
As for food. I do keep the water clean and try to clean uneaten food. I am feeding him frozen bloodworms.
And thank you all so much!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store